PawanSinha_大脑如何学习辨识物体【中英文对照】

1.If you are a blind child in India, you will very likely have to contend with at least two big pieces of bad news.
在印度,如果你先天失明 你必须为之奋斗的 有两件事
2.The first bad news is that the chances of getting treatment are extremely slim to none, and that’s because most of the blindness alleviation programs in the country
第一 接受治疗的机会 极为微小,或者说近乎没有 因为在这个国家 大部分的眼科治疗
3.are focused on adults, and there are very, very few hospitals that are actually equipped to treat children.
都仅仅集中提供给成人 只有极少极少数的医院 才有针对儿童的医疗设备
4.In fact, if you were to be treated, you might well end up being treated by a person who has no medical credentials as this case from Rajasthan illustrates.
其实,就算能够接受治疗 也很有可能你的主治医生 根本没有医学证书 拉贾斯坦的这个例子就是这样
5.This is a three year old orphan girl who had cataracts.
她是个孤儿,只有三岁 患有先天性白内障
6.So, her caretakers took her to the village medicine man, and instead of suggesting to the caretakers that the girl be taken to a hospital,
于是她的看护人带她到 乡村诊所看病 赤脚医生没有向看护人建议 让这个女孩子去正规医院
7.the person decided to burn her abdomen with red hot iron bars to drive out the demons.
恰恰相反,他决定以烧红的铁条 灼烧她的小腹 说是用来驱魔 🙁
8.The second piece of bad news will be delivered to you by neuroscientists, who will tell you that if you are older than four or five years of age,
另一则不幸的消息 你会了解到的是 神经学家说 如果你是四到五岁以上
9.that even if you have your eye corrected, the chances of your brain learning how to see are very, very slim.
视力才得以恢复 大脑学习去看东西的机会 已经微乎其微
10.Again, slim or none.
像第一条一样,几近没有机会。。。
11.So when I heard these two things it troubled me deeply, both because of personal reasons and scientific reasons.
听到这两件事 我陷入了深深的烦恼 有个人背景方面的原因 也有科学原因
12.So let me first start with the personal reason.
先从个人方面说起吧
13.It’ll sound corny, but it’s sincere.
听起来稀松平常,但我是非常认真的
14.That’s my son, Darius.
那就是我的儿子,Darius
15.As a new father, I have a qualitatively different sense of just how delicate babies are, what our obligations are towards them, and how much love
作为一个刚刚晋升的父亲 我从内心深处有种奇妙的感觉 小宝宝是多么的纤细微妙, 那些对他们应尽的责任 以及深深的爱护
16.we can feel towards a child.
面对孩子时我会不由自主的有所感应
17.I would move heaven and earth in order to treatment for Darius.
我愿意上天入地 只为Darius的健康成长
18.And, for me, to be told that there might be other Darius’s who are not getting treatment, that’s just viscerally wrong.
当我被告知 有那么多其他的Darius 没得到任何治疗 这简直是大错特错!
19.So that’s the personal reason.
这,就是我的个人原因
20.Scientific reason is that this notion from neuroscience of critical periods that, if the brain is older than four or five years of age,
科学研究方面, 神经学长久以来的这种说法 认为当大脑超过 四到五岁时
21.it loses its ability to learn, that doesn’t sit well with me, because I don’t that idea has been tested adequately.
将会失去学习能力 我并不赞同 因为我不觉得此理论 有广泛的实践基础
22.The birth of the idea is from David Hubel and Torsten Wiesel’s work, two researchers who were at Harvard, and they got the Nobel prize in 1981
这个理论来自于 大卫胡伯和维塞尔的研究 他们是哈佛大学的两位学者 于1981年赢得诺贝尔奖
23.for their studies of visual physiology, which are remarkably beautiful studies, but I believe some of their work has been extrapolated
其课题是视觉生理学 那是一项非比寻常的研究 但我相信他们的一些工作 在推断的基础上
24.into the human domain prematurely.
过早的进入了人类范围
25.So, they did their work with kittens, with different kinds of deprivation regiments, and those studies, which date back to the sixties,
事实上,他们用猫咪做实验 证实了不同残疾种类的行为 这些研究 已经是六十年代的产物
26.are now being applied to human children.
现在却还在被用于分析我们的孩子
27.So I felt that I needed to do two things.
就这样,我认定自己需要做两件事
28.One: provide care to children who are currently being deprived of treatment.
第一: 为得不到 治疗的儿童们 提供关照
29.That’s the humanitarian mission.
这是人道主义职责所在
30.And the scientific mission would be to test the limits of visual plasticity.
科学的职责在于 要去学习 视觉系统延伸的极限
31.And these two missions, as you can tell, thread together perfectly, one adds to the other.
很显然,这两项任务放在一起 会是多么的珠联璧合
32.In fact, one would be impossible without the other.
彼此密不可分
33.So, to implement these twin missions, a few years ago, I launched Project Prakash.
这般如此,为了实施 此两个任务 几年前我发起了普拉卡项目
34.Prakash, as many of you know, is the sum Sanskrit word for light, and the idea is that in bringing light into the lives of children,
普拉卡,你们也许知道 在梵语中意为 光明 我们希望能 给孩子们的生命中带来光明
35.we also have a chance of shedding light on some of the deepest mysteries of neuroscience.
同时有机会 搞定一些 神经学上的迷思
36.And the logo, even though it looks extremely Irish, it’s actually derived from the Indian symbol of Diya, an earthen lamp.
它的图标,尽管看起来特别像爱尔兰文字 其实是源自 古印度代表大地之神的明灯
37.The Prakash, the overall effort has three components, outreach, to identify children in need of care, medical treatment and in subsequent study.
普拉卡 总的来说 专注于三个方面 从长计议,去帮助需要关爱 治疗和学习的孩子们
38.And I want to show you a short video clip that illustrates the first two components of this work.
现在我要播放一段视频 来展示前两个方面
39.This is an outreach station conducted at a school for the blind.
这个长远的安置 引导着盲童学校
40.(Text: Most of the children are profoundly and permanently blind …) Pawan Sinha: So, because this is a school for the blind, many children have permanent conditions.
画外音:大部分孩子都是重度永久性的失明 教授:由于这是所盲人学校 很多孩子的情况一生都无法治愈
41.That’s a case microphthalmos which is malformed eyes, and that’s a permanent condition.
这就是小眼症 也称眼部发育畸形 一种永久性的损害
42.It cannot be treated.
无法治愈
43.That’s and extreme of micropthalmos called enophthalmos.
这一例是极端小眼症 叫做眼球内陷
44.But, every so often, we come across children who show some residual vision, and that is a very good sign that the condition might actually be treatable.
尽管情况如此糟糕,我们还是会遇到 有些孩子留有少许视力 这是非常好的迹象 说明这种病例有治疗的希望
45.So, after the screening, we bring the children to the hospital.
我们把类似这样经过挑选的孩子送进医院观察
46.That’s the hospital we’re working with in Delhi, the Schroff Charity Eye Hospital.
我们与这家坐落在德里的医院合作 斯沃夫慈善眼科医院
47.It has a very well-equipped pediatric ophthalmic center, which was made possible in part by a gift from the Ronald McDonald charity.
它有个设备精良的 儿童眼科中心 多亏了罗兰 麦当劳的慷慨捐助 使其成为可能
48.So, eating burgers actually helps.
你看,多吃点儿汉堡包真的有用
49.(Text: Such examinations allow us to improve eye-health in many children, and …
文字:(这类的检测使我们提高了 许多孩子的眼部健康状况并且
50…. help us find children who can participate in Project Prakash.) PS: So, as I zoom-in to the eyes of this child, you will see the cause of his blindness.
协助我们寻找那些可以参与普拉卡计划的孩子们) 近距离观察这个孩子的眼睛 你会看见是什么使他失明
51.The whites that you see in the middle of his pupils are congenital cataracts, so opacities of the lens.
你看瞳孔中间的这块白斑 是先天性白内障 挡住眼球水晶体
52.In our eyes the lens is clear, but in this child, the lens has become opaque, and therefore he can’t see the world.
我们眼睛里的水晶体是透明的 但是这个孩子,他的水晶体变得浑浊 就这样儿,他什么都看不见
53.So, the child is given treatment. You’ll see shots of the eye.
于是这个孩子接受了治疗,注意看他眼部的照片
54.Here’s the eye with the opaque lens, the opaque lens extracted and an acrylic lens inserted.
这是那只盲眼 拿出浑浊的晶状体 用树脂晶状体取代
55.And here’s the same child three weeks post-operation, with the right eye open.
同样的孩子 手术3个星期后 右眼看得见了
56.(Applause) Thank you.
(掌声) 谢谢
57.So, even from that little clip, you can begin to get the sense that recovery is possible, and we have now provided treatment to over 200 children,
从这段小影片中,你已经了解到 康复是有可能的 目前我们已经 为超过200名儿童提供了治疗
58.and the story repeats itself.
故事在重复上演着
59.After treatment, the child gains significant functionality.
进过治疗,这些孩子们 的视力得到极大的进步
60.In fact, the story holds true even if you have a person who got sight after several years of deprivation.
其实,同样的示例 发生在失明多年的 病患身上
61.We did a paper a few years ago about this woman that you see on the right, SRD, and she got her sight late in life, and her vision is remarkable at this age.
几年前我们有篇论文 就是关于右边这位妇女的故事 她晚年才开始看见东西的 她的视力在这个年龄段是非常出色的
62.I should add a tragic postscript to this.
我得加个悲剧桥段
63.She died two years ago in a bus accident.
两年前她去世了 死于巴士车祸
64.So, her’s is just a truly inspiring story, unknown, but inspiring story.
她是个真实而激动人心的示例 尽管无法得知未来会怎样,不过非常激励我们
65.So when we started finding these results, as you might imagine, it created quite a bit of stir in the scientific and popular press.
当我们开始寻找这类示例时 能够想象,在科学界和流行出版行业 激起过一些浪潮
66.Here’s an article in Nature that profiled this work, and another one in Time.
这是刊登在《自然》 上面的文章 描述这项工作 时代周刊也曾经报道
67.So, we were fairly convinced, we are convinced, that recovery is feasible, despite extended visual deprivation.
我们十分信服 回复是很有可能的 即使是针对长期视力衰弱
68.The next obvious question to ask: what is the process of recovery?
下一个问题显然就是 恢复的过程是怎样呢?
69.So, the way we study that is, let’s say we find a child who has light sensitivity.
我们是这么进行研究的: 先要寻找一个对光线敏感的孩子
70.The child is provided treatment, and I want to stress that the treatment is completely unconditional.
给他进行治疗 我想要强调一点这类治疗 是完全免费的
71.There is no quid pro quo.
无需置疑
72.We treat many more children then we actually work with.
我们治疗非常多的孩子们,通过他们开展工作
73.Every child who needs treatment is treated.
每个需要的孩子都会治疗
74.After treatment, about every week, we run the child on a battery of simple visual tests in order to see how their visual skills are coming in line.
治疗过后的几乎每个星期? 我们给孩子进行 简单的视觉测试 从而观察他们的进步 是符合预期效果的
75.And we try to do this for as long as possible.
我们试着去做,越多越好
76.This arc of development, gives us unprecedented and extremely valuable information about how the scaffolding of vision gets set up.
这条发展之路 给了我们前所未有 极为珍贵的信息 学习视力框架是 如何构建的
77.What might be the causal connections between the early developing skills and the later developing ones?
其中 早期发展技巧 与后期发展有什么因果联系吗?
78.And we’ve used this general approach to study many different visual proficiencies, but I want to highlight one particular one, and that is image parsing into objects.
我们用类似的方式来学习 很多不同的视觉能力 但是我想要特别强调其中的一种 那就是怎样把图像解析为物体
79.So, any image of the kind that you see on the left, be it a real image or a synthetic image, it’s made up of little regions that you see in the middle column,
看,你现在看到在左边任一种图像 不论是真的物体或者是人造的 都以小的区域构成 就是中间的这些小东西
80.regions of different colors, different luminances.
这些区域有各式各样的颜色,光泽
81.The brain has this complex task of putting together, integrating, subsets of these regions into something that’s more meaningful, into what we would consider to be objects,
大脑用其复杂的结构 来吸取判断 小区域中更小的部分 转化成有意义的信息 告诉我们哪些是真实的物体
82.as you see on the right.
像你在右侧看到的这样
83.And nobody know how this integration happens.
没人知道这个过程是怎么发生的
84.And that’s the question we asked with Project Prakash.
这就是我们在普拉卡课题上的挑战
85.So, here’s what happens very soon after the onset of sight.
其实是这样的 得到视觉不久
86.Here’s a person who had gained sight just a couple of weeks ago, and you see Ethan Myers, a graduate student from MIT, running the experiment with him.
这个人几周前刚刚复明 这位是伊坦迈尔,麻省理工大学的学生 在与他做实验
87.His visual-motor coordination is quite poor, but you get a general sense of what are the regions that he’s trying to trace out.
他的视觉配合度还很差 你可以从中得到一种感觉 他到底在忙着找一些什么区域
88.If you show him real world images, if you show others like him real world images, they are unable to recognize most of the objects because the world to them is over-fragmented,
如果给他看真实的图像 或者跟他这样儿的初期康复者看这种图像 它们不能辨识大部分物体 因为这个世界分成了很多小块儿
89.it’s made up of a collage, a patchwork, of regions of different colors and luminances.
抽象断裂的小块儿 有着很多不同的颜色和光泽
90.And that’s what’s indicated in the green outlines.
类似那些绿色划线
91.When you ask them, even if you can’t name the objects, just point to where the objects are.
当你向他们问起 不需要命名,只要指着物体就可以
92.These are the regions that they point to.
他们指出来这样一些区域
93.So the world is this complex patchwork of regions.
他的世界非常复杂 有一块一块的很多区域
94.Even the shadow on the ball becomes its own object.
甚至球上方的阴影 变成独体的物体
95.Interestingly enough, you give them a few months, and this is what happens.
有趣的是 几个月后 发生了一些事
96.Doctor: How many are these?
医生:看见几个东西?

ted演讲稿中英文对照

PaulRothemund_详细讲述 DNA 折叠【中英文对照】

2024-3-30 11:39:25

ted演讲稿中英文对照

PeterDiamandis_人类的下一个巨大飞跃【中英文对照】

2024-3-30 11:41:24

搜索