JamesRandi_詹姆斯兰迪激烈抨击心理骗局【中英文对照】

1.Good morning.
上午好。
2.Happy to see so many fine folks out here and so many smiling faces.
能见到这么多名流在座真开心。 看来大家心情也不错。
3.I have a very peculiar background, attitude and approach to the real world because I am a conjurer.
面对真实的世界, 我的背景,态度和方法 都别具一格, 因为我是魔术师。
4.Now, I prefer that term over magician, because if I were a magician, that would mean that I use spells and incantations and weird gestures
我可不是什么变戏法的, 若是变戏法的, 就得采用咒语符文, 古里古怪的手势,
5.in order to accomplish real magic.
那样才能变出戏法。
6.No, I don’t do that; I’m a conjurer, who is someone who pretends to be a real magician. (Laughter) Now, how do we go about that sort of thing?
我可不来那一套;我是魔术师, 假扮成 货真价实的术士。 那么,那种把戏是怎么弄的呢?
7.We depend on the fact that audiences, such as yourselves, will make assumptions.
有个前提是 像你们一样的观众 都会对所闻所见进行假设。
8.For example, when I walked up here and I took the microphone from the stand and switched it on, you assumed this was a microphone, which it is not.
举个例子,我走上台来, 我从讲台上取下麦克风 把它拧开, 你们就认定这是个麦克风了,其实错了。
9.(Laughter) As a matter of fact, this is something that about half of you, more than half of you will not be familiar with.
(笑声) 事实上,这件东西是你们当中 至少一半人所不熟悉的。
10.It’s a beard trimmer, you see?
这是把剃须刀,看到了吧。
11.And it makes a very bad microphone; I’ve tried it many times. (Laughter) The other assumption that you made — and this little lesson is to show you
当麦克风用它一点儿都不好使。 我试用多次了。 你们的另一个假定是– 这只是告诉大家
12.that you will make assumptions.
你们都会假设–
13.Not only that you can, but that you will when they are properly suggested to you.
可能并且即将进行种种假设– 当你们受到一定的暗示。
14.You believe I’m looking at you.
你们相信我正在看着你们。
15.Wrong. I’m not looking at you. I can’t see you.
错。我没在看你们。我看不到你们。
16.I know you’re out there, they told me backstage, it’s a full house and such.
我知道你们就座在大厅里 ,上台之前他们已经说了,观众座无虚席。
17.I know you’re there because I can hear you, but I can’t see you because I normally wear glasses.
我知道你们在座是因为我听见你们了, 但我看不到,原因是我通常戴眼镜才看得见。
18.These are not glasses, these are empty frames. (Laughter) Quite empty frames.
我现在戴的只是没镜片的空镜框, 的确是空镜框。
19.Now why would a grown man appear before you wearing empty frames on his face?
为什么一个上了年纪的人 戴着个空镜框出现在你们眼前?
20.To fool you, ladies and gentlemen, to deceive you, to show that you, too, can make assumptions.
是来骗你们的,先生们女士们 勾引你们上当, 让大家明白你们也会做出假设,
21.Don’t you ever forget that.
这一点千万别忘记。
22.Now, I have to do something — first of all, switch to real glasses so I can actually see you, which would probably be a convenience. I don’t know.
现在,我得先把眼镜戴上, 这样才能看见你们, 或许能方便我看清楚,也不一定。
23.I haven’t had a good look. Well, it’s not that great a convenience.
我还没好好看一看呢。哦,马马虎虎,跟不戴差不多。
24.(Laughter) I have to do something now, which seems a little bit strange for a magician.
(笑声) 现在我得做的事情,对魔术师来说, 看着有点儿怪异。
25.But I’m going to take some medication.
我要吃些药。
26.This is a full bottle of Calms Forte.
这儿是满满一瓶的 安睡药片。
27.I’ll explain that in just a moment.
待会儿我再解释。
28.Ignore the instructions, that’s what the government has to put in there to confuse you, I’m sure.
不看服用说明。 说明书都是按政府要求写的, 肯定是让你看着糊涂的。
29.I will take enough of these. Mm.
我吃足够量的药片。
30.Indeed, the whole container.
其实是一整瓶的量。
31.Thirty-two tablets of Calms Forte.
32片安睡药。
32.Now that I’ve done that — I’ll explain it in a moment — I must tell you that I am an actor.
既然已经服下去了–我过一会跟大家解释– 我必须告诉你们, 我是个演员。
33.I’m an actor who plays a specific part.
我扮演某一特定的角色。
34.I play the part of a magician, a wizard, if you will, a real wizard.
我演个术士, 男巫,或者干脆叫神汉。
35.If someone were to appear on this stage in front of me and actually claim to be an ancient prince of Denmark named Hamlet, you would be insulted
要是有谁到台上来出现在我跟前, 他又号称是 哈姆雷特,一位古代丹麦的王子, 你们肯定觉着被侮辱了,
36.and rightly so.
的确如此。
37.Why would a man assume that you would believe something bizarre like this?
怎么会有谁可以假定你们就相信 这类稀奇古怪的事情呢?
38.But there exists out there a very large population of people who will tell you that they have psychic, magical powers that they can predict the future,
还真大有人在, 他们明目张胆地 告诉众生 他们具备灵异的、魔幻的力量, 他们能预知未来,
39.that they can make contact with the deceased.
他们能与亡人接触。
40.Oh, they also say they will sell you astrology or other fortunetelling methods.
啊,他们还说, 可以把占星术以及 其它占卜用的方法卖给你们。
41.Oh, they gladly sell you that, yes.
哦,他们可真是巴不得卖给你们呢。
42.And they also say that they can give you perpetual motion machines and free energy systems.
他们还说 能给你永动机 和什么不耗能的玩意儿。
43.They claim to be psychics, or sensitives, whatever they can.
他们自称灵媒师, 或者有特异功能什么的。
44.But the one thing that has made a big comeback just recently is this business of speaking with the dead.
但是有一点让他们现了原形, 就在近期发生的, 竟有这样的事儿, 跟死人说话。
45.Now, to my innocent mind, dead implies incapable of communicating. (Laughter) You might agree with me on that.
恕我孤陋寡闻了, 我以为死亡即 不能与人交流。 你们也这么想吧。
46.But these people, they tend to tell you that not only can they communicate with the dead — “Hi, there” — but they can hear the dead as well,
可这帮人,他们要跟你们说的是, 他们不但能跟死人交流– 你好哇– 还能听见死人说的话呢,
47.and they can relay this information back to the living.
再把他们听到的讯息回传给生者。
48.I wonder if that’s true.
我怀疑其真实性。
49.I don’t think so, because this subculture of people use exactly the same gimmicks that we magicians do, exactly the same — the same physical methods, the same psychological methods —
我不以为然是因为 处于非主流文化中的这帮人 用的手法跟我们魔术师一模照样, 完全一样, 同样的物质方法,同样的心理手段。
50.and they effectively and profoundly deceive millions of people around the earth, to their detriment.
迄今他们有效地、深刻地 欺骗了全球上百万众生 令人深受其害。
51.They deceive these people, costs them a lot of money, cost them a lot of emotional anguish.
他们向老百姓行骗。 骗取大量钱财。 令众生陷入感情的痛苦之中。
52.Billions of dollars are spent every year, all over the globe, on these charlatans.
上亿美元都被骗走 年年如此,随处可见, 这类自吹自擂的骗子。
53.Now, I have two questions I would like to ask these people if I had the opportunity to do so.
我有两个问题 我要向这类人发问 如果我有这个机会。
54.First question: If I want to ask them to call up — because they do hear them through the ear.
第一个问题:如果我要他们召唤谁— 因为他们用耳朵听到那些讯息。
55.They listen to the spirits like this — I’m going to ask you to call up the ghost of my grandmother because, when she died, she had the family will,
他们像这样听灵魂说些什么。 我要你召唤我奶奶的灵魂, 她去世的时候有一份家庭遗嘱,
56.and she secreted it someplace. We don’t know where it is, so we ask Granny, “Where is the will, Granny?”
她给藏在什么地方了,我们都不知道。 所以我们得问问奶奶,“遗嘱放在哪儿,奶奶?”
57.What does Granny say? She says, “I’m in heaven and it’s wonderful.
奶奶怎么说的?她说,“我在天堂,这儿真美。
58.I’m here with all my old friends, my deceased friends, and my family and all the puppy dogs and the kittens that I used to have when I was a little girl.
我在这儿跟所有的老朋友一起,那些故去的朋友, 以及我的家人, 还有我小时候养过的宠物阿猫阿狗。
59.And I love you, and I’ll always be with you.
我爱你们,永远和你们在一起。
60.Good bye.”
再见。
61.And she didn’t answer the damn question!
她死活就没回答问题。
62.Where is the will?
遗嘱放在哪儿?
63.Now, she could easily have said, “Oh, it’s in the library on the second shelf, behind the encyclopedia,”
其实她本来就该直接说, “哦,放在百科全书后面了,在阅览室的第二层架子上。”
64.but she doesn’t say that. No, she doesn’t.
但她就不说。她没说。
65.She doesn’t bring any useful information to us.
她不把有用的信息带给我们。
66.We paid a lot of money for that information, be we didn’t get it.
我们可是为获得信息付了大价钱的, 钱花了,信儿没问到。
67.The second question that I’d like to ask, rather simple: Suppose I ask them to contact the spirit of my deceased father-in-law, as an example.
我要问的第二个问题,相当简单。 比方说,假设我请他们 跟我已经故去的岳父的灵魂取得联系。
68.Why do they insist on saying — remember, they speak into this ear — why do they say, “My name starts with J or M?”
为什么他们坚持说— 记住,他们对着他的耳朵说— 为什么要说,“我的名字是J打头还是M?”
69.Is this a hunting game?
这玩的是猎杀游戏吗?
70.Hunting and fishing? What is it?
打猎还是钓鱼?什么把戏?不就一个问题么?
71.Is it 20 questions? No, it’s more like 120 questions.
难道问了20个问题?不,更像是120个问题。
72.But it is a cruel, vicious, absolutely conscienceless — I’ll be all right, keep your seats (Laughter) — game that these people play.
太不幸,太邪恶了, 彻底丧失良心了— 我没事儿,你们别担心— 这伙人搞什么鬼把戏。
73.And they take advantage of the innocent, the naive, the grieving, the needy people out there.
他们在沾别人的便宜,利用那些 天真、无知、悲伤和贫穷的人们。
74.Now, this is a process that is called cold reading.
其中有个过程, 所谓冷读术。
75.There’s one fellow out there, Van Praagh is his name, James Van Praagh.
有个知名知姓的男巫, 他叫凡?普拉,全名是詹姆斯?凡?普拉。
76.He’s one of the big practitioners of this sort of thing.
干这行的里面他算大佬。
77.John Edward, Sylvia Browne and Rosemary Altea, they are other operators.
还有约翰?爱德华,斯尔维亚?布朗, 罗斯玛丽?艾尔提,他们都是这行当里面数得着的。
78.There are hundreds of them all over the earth, but in this country, James Van Praagh is very big.
全球有几百个专干这行的巫师巫婆,但在这个国家, 詹姆斯?凡?普拉就是老大了。
79.And what does he do? He likes to tell you how the deceased got deceased, the people he’s talking to through his ear, you see?
知道他管用的伎俩吗?他通常会忽悠你 已经故去的人是怎么走的, 他用耳朵与逝者交谈。
80.So what he says is, very often, is like this: he says, “He tells me, he tells me, before he passed, that he had trouble breathing.”
他惯用的专业术语是, 在他生前,他告诉我,他告诉我, 他呼吸困难。”
81.Folks, that’s what dying is all about!
在座的各位,那不就是人死亡的过程么。
82.(Laughter) You stop breathing, and then you’re dead.
(笑声) 停止呼吸,然后宣告死亡。
83.It’s that simple.
多显而易见的事儿。
84.And that’s the kind of information they’re going to bring back to you?
那就是逝者要带回给人们的信息吗?
85.I don’t think so.
我想不是。
86.Now, these people will make guesses, they’ll say things like, “Why am I getting electricity?
马上,这帮专业人士要进行猜测了,他们会说, “为什么我得到一个“电”字?
87.He’s saying to me, ‘Electricity.’ Was he an electrician?” “No.”
他在跟我说“电”。 “他是个电工?”不是。
88.”Did he ever have an electric razor?” “No.”
“他曾用过一个电动剃须刀?”没有。
89.It was a game of hunting questions like this.
少来这种搜索问题的把戏。
90.This is what they go through.
他们无非就指着这套骗钱。
91.Now, folks often ask us at the James Randi Educational Foundation, they call me, they say, “Why are you so concerned about this, Mr. Randi?
人们经常致电 詹姆斯?兰迪教育基金会, 他们问:“兰迪先生,你为何对次如此关心?
92.Isn’t it just a lot of fun?”
是不是其中大有乐趣?”
93.No, it is not fun. It is a cruel farce.
不,不是觉得有意思。真是令人痛苦的丑剧。
94.Now, it may bring a certain amount of comfort, but that comfort lasts only about 20 minutes or so.
也许骗子给当事人带来一定的慰藉, 却也不过是短暂的 二十来分钟而已。
95.And then the people look in the mirror, and they say, I just paid a lot of money for that reading.
过后人们揽镜自照,方大梦初醒, 我付了一大笔钱都换来什么了。
96.And what did she say to me? ‘I love you!'”
她跟我说了些什么?“我爱你!”
97.They always say that.
骗子惯用的把戏。
98.They don’t get any information, they don’t get any value for what they spend.
人们什么信息也没得到, 上当了,钱白花了。
99.Now, Sylvia Browne is the big operator.
斯尔维亚?布朗就是目前的头号骗子。
100.We call her “The Talons.”
我们都叫她“大魔爪”。
101.Sylvia Browne — thank you — Sylvia Browne is the big operator in this field at this very moment.
斯尔维亚?布朗–谢谢你– 现在这行当中, 斯尔维亚?布朗就算老大了。
102.Now, Sylvia Browne — just to show you — she actually gets 700 dollars for a 20 minute reading over the telephone, she doesn’t even go there in person,
斯尔维亚?布朗–你听好了–我要揭穿你 如何打一通20分钟的电话, 就骗取了700美元。 她甚至都不必走一趟。
103.and you have to wait up to two years because she’s booked ahead that amount of time.
而你得等上两年的时间才约得到她, 因为她提前预定的时间就是两年。
104.You pay by credit card or whatever, and then she will call you sometime in the next two years.
可以用信用卡或别的方式付款, 接下来两年之内的某个时间, 她会给你打电话。
105.You can tell it’s her. “Hello, this is Sylvia Browne.”
一听就知道是她本人。“你好,我是斯尔维亚?布朗。”
106.That’s her, you can tell right away.
错不了。一听就是她。
107.Now, Montel Williams is an intelligent man.
蒙特尔·威廉姆斯智能过人。
108.We all know who he is on television.
这位美国著名电视节目主持人家喻户晓。
109.He’s well educated, he’s smart, he knows what Sylvia Browne is doing but he doesn’t give a damn.
他修养高,又聪明。 他晓得斯尔维亚?布朗的勾当。 但他不去理会。
110.He just doesn’t care.
事不关己,高高挂起。
111.Because, the bottom line is, the sponsors love it, and he will expose her to television publicity all the time.
因为只要赞助商们喜欢, 他就会随时向电视观众 推介她。
112.Now, what does Sylvia Browne give you for that 700 dollars?
而问题是斯尔维亚?布朗凭什么收了你700美元呢。
113.She gives you the names of your guardian angels, that’s first.
首先,她会说出你的守护天使是谁。
114.Now, without that, how could we possibly function? (Laughter) She gives you the names of previous lives, who you were in previous lives.
没有那可怎么行呢? 她告诉你的前世叫什么名字, 上辈子你是谁。
115.Duh.
切–
116.It turns out that the women that she gives readings for were all Babylonian princesses, or something like that.
结果那些听她瞎掰扯的女人, 都成了古巴比伦的公主, 或者有类似的显赫身世。
117.And the men were all Grecian warriors fighting with Agamemnon.
男的都曾经是跟随阿伽门农 打仗的希腊斗士。
118.Nothing is ever said about a 14 year-old bootblack in the streets of London who died of consumption.
却从没有人提及 伦敦大街上擦皮鞋的孩童, 14岁就死于肺病。
119.He isn’t worth bringing back, obviously.
显然,卑微的小生命死不足惜。
120.And the strange thing — folks, you may have noticed this too.
可能你们也注意到了,有件事很奇怪—
121.You see these folks on television — they never call anybody back from hell. (Laughter) Everyone comes back from heaven, but never from hell.
在电视上露面的这些家伙— 从来不召回地狱的死人。 他们找的都是天堂里的,从来不去敲地狱的门。
122.If they call back any of my friends, they’re not going to… Well, you see the story.
若是把我故去的某个朋友叫回来, 他们也不会去叫……反正大家都明白。
123.(Laughter) Now, Sylvia Browne is an exception, an exception in one way, because the James Randi Educational Foundation, my foundation,
(笑声) 斯尔维亚?布朗 多少有点儿例外, 原因就是詹姆斯?兰迪教育基金,我本人的基金会,
124.offers a one million dollar prize in negotiable bonds.
提供一份价值一百万美元的可转让债券。
125.Very simply won.
赢取的条件很简单。
126.All you have to do is prove any paranormal, occult or supernatural event or power of any kind under proper observing conditions.
只要你能证实超常玄妙的事情, 或者超自然事情的真实性, 而且是在正常的条件下可观察到的。
127.It’s very easy, win the million dollars.
谁做到了,就能轻易赢得百万美元。
128.Sylvia Browne is an exception in that she’s the only professional psychic in the whole world that has accepted our challenge.
斯尔维亚?布朗多少有点儿例外, 她是全世界唯一的 接受我们挑战的 职业灵媒师。

ted演讲稿中英文对照

JamesHowardKunstler_解析市郊【中英文对照】

2024-3-23 13:22:40

ted演讲稿中英文对照

JamesSurowiecki_社会媒体的转折点【中英文对照】

2024-3-23 13:24:26

搜索