1.My story is a little bit about war.
我的故事是关于战争的。
2.It’s about disillusionment.
是关于理想幻灭的。
3.It’s about death.
是关于死亡的。
4.And it’s about rediscovering idealism in all of that wreckage.
是关于在残骸碎片中 重新发现 完美主义的。
5.And perhaps also, there’s a lesson about how to deal with our screwed-up, fragmenting and dangerous world of the 21st century.
或许,也是一堂课程 讲述如何面对 我们糟透了的,残垣断壁的 危机重重的二十一世纪。
6.I don’t believe in straightforward narratives.
我不相信直白的故事。
7.I don’t believe in a life or history written as decision “A” led to consequence “B”
我不相信在人生或历史中 决定A会导致结果B
8.led to consequence “C” — these neat narratives that we’re presented with, and that perhaps we encourage in each other.
从而导致结果C– 这些我们被讲授的, 并且我们相互鼓励的简洁的故事。
9.I believe in randomness, and one of the reasons I believe that is because me becoming a diplomat was random.
我相信随机性, 其中原因之一是 因为我成为一名外交官就是很意外的
10.I’m colorblind.
我是色盲。
11.I was born unable to see most colors.
我从生下来就分辨不了大多数颜色。
12.This is why I wear gray and black most of the time, and I have to take my wife with me to chose clothes.
这就是为什么我总穿灰色和黑色的衣服, 我必须带着我的太太 为我选衣服。
13.And I’d always wanted to be a fighter pilot when I was a boy.
我小时候总希望成为一名飞行员。
14.I loved watching planes barrel over our holiday home in the countryside.
我喜爱看着飞机快速飞过 我们在乡间的度假屋。
15.And it was my boyhood dream to be a fighter pilot.
我男孩子时候的梦想就是当一名飞行员。
16.And I did the tests in the Royal Air Force to become a pilot, and sure enough, I failed.
我参加了皇家空军的飞行员测试, 当然的,我失败了。
17.I couldn’t see all the blinking different lights, and I can’t distinguish color.
我分辨不了闪烁的不同信号灯, 我分辨不了颜色
18.So I had to choose another career, and this was in fact relatively easy for me, because I had an abiding passion all the way through my childhood,
所以,我必须选择别的职业, 这对我来说还算容易的, 因为在我的童年时期,我就有了这么一个持久的激情,
19.which was international relations.
那就是国际关系。
20.As a child, I read the newspaper thoroughly.
我还是个孩子时, 我就很仔细地读报纸。
21.I was fascinated by the Cold War, by the INF negotiations over intermediate-range nuclear missiles, the proxy war between the Soviet Union and the U.S.
“冷战”的新闻很让我着迷, INF(Intermediate-range Nuclear Forces, 中程核导弹力量) 签署中程导弹条约的谈判也令我着迷, 还有苏联和美国在
22.in Angola or Afghanistan.
在安哥拉或阿富汗的代理战。
23.These things really interested me.
我对这些内容很感兴趣。
24.And so I decided quite at an early age I wanted to be a diplomat.
所以我很早就决定了 我想当一名外交家。
25.And I, one day, I announced this to my parents — and my father denies this story to this day — I said, “Daddy, I want to be a diplomat.”
我,有一天,跟我父母宣布了这个想法– 我父亲现在不承认这个故事– 我说道,”爸爸,我想成为一名外交家。“
26.And he turned to me, and he said, “Carne, you have to be very clever to be a diplomat.”
他看着我,说道, ”卡恩,你必须要特别聪明才能成为外交家。“
27.(Laughter) And my ambition was sealed.
(笑声) 而我更加确定了我的抱负。
28.In 1989, I entered the British Foreign Service.
一九八九年, 我加入了英国外交事务。
29.That year, 5,000 people applied to become a diplomat, and 20 of us succeeded.
那年,有五千人应聘, 只有二十个人胜出了。
30.And as those numbers suggest, I was inducted into an elite and fascinating and exhilarating world.
这个数据说明, 我也被选入一个充满精英的 迷人的令人振奋的世界。
****************************************************************
本文来源于[育能软件] 更多更全,请登录NengSoft.com
****************************************************************
31.Being a diplomat, then and now, is an incredible job, and I loved every minute of it — I enjoyed the status of it.
成为一名外交官,以往和现在, 是一份很棒的工作,我热爱工作的每一分钟。 我享受工作状态。
32.I bought myself a nice suit and wore leather-soled shoes and reveled in this amazing access I had to world events.
我给我自己买一套很好的西装,我穿皮鞋 然后陶醉于 这个让我接近世界大事件的美妙的途径。
33.I traveled to the Gaza Strip.
我访问过加沙地带。
34.I headed the Middle East Peace Process section in the British Foreign Ministry.
我领导中东和平进程 在英国外交部。
35.I became a speechwriter for the British Foreign Secretary.
我成为了撰稿人 为英国外交大臣。
36.I met Yasser Arafat.
我会见过亚西尔 阿拉法特 (注:巴勒斯坦领袖)。
37.I negotiated with Saddam’s diplomats at the U.N.
我同萨达姆的外交官们 在联合国谈判过。
38.Later, I traveled to Kabul and served in Afghanistan after the fall of the Taliban.
后来,我去了喀布尔 在塔利班失势后的阿富汗服务。
39.And I would travel in a C-130 transport and go and visit warlords in mountain hideaways and negotiate with them about how we were going to eradicate Al Qaeda from Afghanistan,
我用C-130运输机 旅行 去探访在深山中 躲藏的军阀们 同他们谈判 关于我们如何在阿富汗消灭基地组织,
40.surrounded by my Special Forces escort, who, themselves, had to have an escort of a platoon of Royal Marines, because it was so dangerous.
我身边都是特种护送部队, 他们自己,都必须有一个排的皇家海军护航, 因为实在是太危险了。
41.And that was exciting — that was fun.
是那很刺激,很好玩。
42.It was really interesting.
真的是很有趣。
43.And it’s a great cadre of people, incredibly close-knit community of people.
他们是精英, 不可思议的紧紧团结在一起的一群人。
44.And the pinnacle of my career, as it turned out, was when I was posted to New York.
我事业的顶端,事实证明, 是我被派遣到纽约的时候
45.I’d already served in Germany, Norway, various other places, but I was posted to New York to serve on the U.N. Security Council for the British delegation.
我曾在德国,挪威, 还有其他很多地方服务过, 但是我被派遣到纽约 作为英国代表团参加联合国安理会
46.And my responsibility was the Middle East, which was my specialty.
我的责任是中东, 也是我的专长。
47.And there, I dealt with things like the Middle East peace process, the Lockerbie issue — we can talk about that later, if you wish —
在那里,我处理类似 中东和平进程, 洛克比事件 (注:发生在苏格兰南端小镇的事件)– 如果你感兴趣,我们以后可以谈一谈–
48.but above all, my responsibility was Iraq and its weapons of mass destruction and the sanctions we placed on Iraq to oblige it to disarm itself of these weapons.
但是最重要的是,我的责任是伊拉克 和它的大规模杀伤性武器 以及我们对伊拉克的制裁 以迫使它解除这些武器装备。
49.I was the chief British negotiator on the subject, and I was steeped in the issue.
我原是英国的首席谈判代表 在这个议题上, 我沉浸在这个事件中。
50.And anyway, my tour — it was kind of a very exciting time.
无论如何, 我的旅行–是非常非常令人激动的。
51.I mean it was very dramatic diplomacy.
我是说它是非常戏剧化的外交。
52.We went through several wars during my time in New York.
我们经历了好几次战争事件 当我在纽约的时候。
53.I negotiated for my country the resolution in the Security Council of the 12th of September 2001 condemning the attacks of the day before,
我代表我的国家 在安理会上协商一份决议 (这份决议)在二零零一年九月十二日 谴责前一天的攻击 (注:911事件)
54.which were, of course, deeply present to us actually living in New York at the time.
这件事当然深深地为我们展现了 在那个时候真正生活在纽约的情形
55.So it was kind of the best of time, worst of times kind of experience.
算是最好的时候,也是最坏的时候 那种经历。
56.I lived the high-life.
我过着高品质的生活。
57.Although I worked very long hours, I lived in a penthouse in Union Square.
尽管我工作时间长, 我住在联合广场的豪华公寓中。
58.I was a single British diplomat in New York City; you can imagine what that might have meant.
我是纽约市中一名单身的英国外交官; 你可以想象那意味着什么。
59.(Laughter) I had a good time.
(笑声) 我有过一段美好的时光。
60.But in 2002, when my tour came to an end, I decided I wasn’t going to go back to the job that was waiting for me in London.
但是在二零零二年, 当我的任期即将结束的时候, 我决定我不想回到 那份在伦敦等待着我的工作。
****************************************************************
本文来源于[育能软件] 更多更全,请登录NengSoft.com
****************************************************************
61.I decided to take a sabbatical, in fact, at the New School, Bruce.
我决定休假 实际上,在新学院大学,布鲁斯。
62.In some inchoate, inarticulate way I realized that there was something wrong with my work, with me.
早期时,说不清楚的情况下, 我意识到有些事情不对劲 关于我的工作,和我自身。
63.I was exhausted, and I was also disillusioned in a way I couldn’t quite put my finger on.
我精疲力竭, 我的理想也破灭了 从某种方式上说,我并不知道为什么。
64.And I decided to take some time out from work.
我决定花些时间在工作之外的其他事情上
65.The Foreign Office was very generous.
外交部很慷慨。
66.You could take these special unpaid leave, as they called them, and yet remain part of the diplomatic service, but not actually do any work.
你可以享受这些特殊不带薪假期,他们这么说, 但是仍然属于外交服务的一份子,只是没有具体的工作。
67.It was nice.
我很好。
68.And eventually, I decided to take a secondment to join the U.N. in Kosovo, which was then under U.N. administration.
终于,我决定 采取借调加入了联合国在科索沃的机构, 也就是那时在联合国的管理之下。
69.And two things happened in Kosovo, which kind of, again, shows the randomness of life, because these things turned out to be two of the pivots of my life
在科索沃发生了两件事, 又一次, 显示了人生的不确定性, 因为这些事后来成为 我生命中的两个支点
70.and helped to deliver me to the next stage.
帮助我到达下一个人生阶段。
71.But they were random things.
但是,那都是很随机的事情。
72.One was that, in the summer of 2004, the British government, somewhat reluctantly, decided to have an official inquiry into the use of intelligence on WMD
一件事是,在二零零四年的夏天, 英国政府,有点不情愿地, 决定要展开对 在伊拉克战争中
73.in the run up to the Iraq War, a very limited subject.
对大规模杀伤性武器情报的正式调查, 这是个很有限的议题。
74.And I testified to that inquiry in secret.
我秘密地为那个调查作证。
75.I had been steeped in the intelligence on Iraq and its WMD, and my testimony to the inquiry said three things: that the government exaggerated the intelligence,
我一直精通于伊拉克和大规模杀伤性武器的 情报, 我对此次调查的证词阐述了三件事: 即,政府夸大了那些情报,
76.which was very clear in all the years I’d read it.
从过去这些年来我所得知道的看来这很清楚。
77.And indeed, our own internal assessment was very clear that Iraq’s WMD did not pose a threat to its neighbors, let alone to us.
当然的,我们自己内部的评估很明确地指出 伊拉克的大规模杀伤性武器 不对其邻国构成威胁,更不用说对我们了。
78.Secondly, the government had ignored all available alternatives to war, which in some ways was a more discreditable thing still.
其次,政府忽视了除了战争以外的所有可行的替代方案, 从某种角度说 这更加可耻。
79.The third reason, I won’t go into.
第三个原因,我就不说了。
80.But anyway, I gave that testimony, and that presented me with a crisis.
但是不管怎么样,我所做的证词, 也给我自己带来了危机。
81.What was I going to do?
我将要做的事。
82.This testimony was deeply critical of my colleagues, of my ministers, who had, in my view had perpetrated a war on a falsehood.
这次的证词深深地批判了我的同僚们, 部长们,照我看来, 正是他们的错误导致了这场战争。
83.And so I was in crisis.
同时,我也身处危机之中。
84.And this wasn’t a pretty thing.
这不是什么好事情。
85.I moaned about it, I hesitated, I went on and on and on to my long-suffering wife, and eventually I decided to resign from the British Foreign Service.
我呻吟着,我徘徊着, 我同和我一起受煎熬的妻子一同坚持了下来, 终于,我决定从英国外交部辞职。
86.I felt — there’s a scene in the Al Pacino movie “The Insider,” which you may know, where he goes back to CBS after they’ve let him down over the tobacco guy,
我感觉到–就好像艾尔帕西诺的电影“局内人”,你们可能看过那部电影, 他回到CBS 他们(CBS)对烟草公司内部人员决定使得他很失望,
87.and he goes, “You know, I just can’t do this anymore. Something’s broken.”
然后他说,“你知道,我不能再干了。有些事不对劲。”
88.And it was like that for me. I love that movie.
这就好像我一样。我很喜欢那部电影。
89.I felt just something’s broken.
我感觉就是有些什么东西不对劲。
90.I can’t actually sit with my foreign minister or my prime minister again with a smile on my face and do what I used to do gladly for them.
我不能再同我的外交部长 或者我的首相坐在一起谈笑风生, 像我原先所做的一样让他们高兴。
91.So took a running leap and jumped over the edge of a cliff.
那感觉像飞跃起来 跳过悬崖的边缘。
92.And it was a very, very uncomfortable, unpleasant feeling.
那种感觉非常,非常的不舒服,也不愉快。
93.And I started to fall.
我开始觉得失落。
94.And today, that fall hasn’t stopped; I’m still falling.
直到今天,仍然没有停止; 我依然觉得失落。
95.But, in a way, I’ve got used to the sensation of it.
但是,从某种方式上说,我已经习惯了这种感觉。
96.And in a way, I kind of like the sensation of it a lot better than I like actually standing on top of the cliff, wondering what to do.
从某种方式上说,我甚至有点 更喜欢这种感觉。 比起我真正站在悬崖边 不知所措。
97.A second thing happened in Kosovo, which kind of — I need a quick gulp of water, forgive me.
在科索沃发生的第二件事, 不好意思,我要喝点水。
98.A second thing happened in Kosovo, which kind of delivered the answer, which I couldn’t really answer, which is, “What do I do with my life?”
在科索沃发生的第二件事, 是关于获得一个答案, 我也不能回答的答案, 那就是,“我要如何度过我的人生?”
99.I love diplomacy — I have no career — I expected my entire life to be a diplomat, to be serving my country.
我热爱外交。 却没有一份职业。 我期望我的整个人生都是一名外交家,为我的国家服务。
100.I wanted to be an ambassador, and my mentors, my heroes, people who got to the top of my profession, and here I was throwing it all away.
我希望成为一名大使, 我的导师们,我心目中的英雄们, 那些到达事业的顶峰的人们, 我现在却要舍弃这一切。
101.A lot of my friends were still in it.
我的很多朋友还在其中。
102.My pension was in it.
我的养老金也在。
103.And I gave it up.
我却将它舍弃了。
104.And what was I going to do?
我下一步该怎么办呢?
105.And that year, in Kosovo, this terrible, terrible thing happened, which I saw.
那一年,在科索沃, 发生了一件非常,非常糟糕的事情。
106.In March 2004, there were terrible riots all over the province — as it then was — of Kosovo.
二零零四年三月,可怕的骚乱 遍布科索沃全部省份–那时的–科索沃
107.18 people were killed.
十八个人被杀害。
108.It was anarchy.
那是场混战。
109.And it’s a very horrible thing to see anarchy, to know that the police and the military — there were lots of military troops there —
无政府状态是很可怕的, 明知警察们,军队们– 很多的部队驻扎在那里–
110.actually can’t stop that rampaging mob who’s coming down the street.
却不能够阻止蜂拥到 街道上的疯狂暴民。
111.And the only way that rampaging mob coming down the street will stop is when they decide to stop and when they’ve had enough burning and killing.
阻止那些冲到大街上的暴民的唯一方式是 他们自己决定停下来 当他们觉得烧够了,杀够了
112.And that is not a very nice feeling to see, and I saw it.
那真不是什么美好的感觉,我亲眼看到了
113.And I went through it. I went through those mobs.
我经历了这一切。我亲历了那些暴民。
114.And with my Albanian friends, we tried to stop it, but we failed.
同我的阿尔巴尼亚朋友们,我们试着去阻止,我们却失败了。
115.And that riot taught me something, which isn’t immediately obvious and it’s kind of a complicated story.
那次骚乱教会我一些事情, 不是很明显,也算是个复杂的故事。
116.But one of the reasons that riot took place — those riots, which went on for several days, took place — was because the Kosovo people
发生骚乱的原因之一– 那些骚乱,已经持续了好几天,– 是因为科索沃人们
117.were disenfranchised from their own future.
未来的公民权被剥夺了。
118.There were diplomatic negotiations about the future of Kosovo going on then, and the Kosovo government, let alone the Kosovo people,
当时有个关于科索沃未来的 外交谈判, 科索沃政府,更不用说科索沃人们,
119.were not actually participating in those talks.
都没有实际地 参与到这些谈判中。
120.There was this whole fancy diplomatic system, this negotiation process about the future of Kosovo, and the Kosovars weren’t part of it.
整体看似优良的外交系统, 这次关于科索沃未来的谈判过程, 科索沃却没有参加。
121.And funnily enough, they were frustrated about that.
可笑的是,他们感到很沮丧。
122.Those riots were part of the manifestation of that frustration.
骚乱是体现沮丧的一部分。
123.It wasn’t the only reason, and life is not simple, one reason narratives.
这并不是唯一的原因, 生活不是简简单单的,一个单一的故事。
124.It was a complicated thing, and I’m not pretending it was more simple than it was.
那是个复杂的事情, 我并不是要假装它比表面上看起来的要简单。
125.But that was one of the reasons.
但是,那是原因之一。
126.And that kind of gave me the inspiration — or rather to be precise, it gave my wife the inspiration.
那给了我一个启发– 或者更准确得说, 给了我妻子一个启发。
127.She said, “Why don’t you advise the Kosovars?
她说道,“你为什么不帮助科索沃呢?
128.Why don’t you advise their government on their diplomacy?”
你为什么不在外交上帮助他们的政府呢?”
129.And the Kosovars were not allowed a diplomatic service.
科索沃不允许有外交服务。
130.They were not allowed diplomats.
他们不允许有外交官。
131.They were not allowed a foreign office to help them deal with this immensely complicated process, which became known as the Final Status Process of Kosovo.
他们不允许有外交部 帮助他们处理这个极其复杂的过程, 后来,这成为了众所周知的科索沃的最终地位进程。
132.And so that was the idea.
这个想法就是这样来的。
133.That was the origin of the thing that became Independent Diplomat, the world’s first diplomatic advisory group and a non-profit to boot.
那就是后来成为独立外交家的原始想法, 是世界上第一个外交事务咨询团体 而且也是非营利的。
134.And it began when I flew back from London after my time at the U.N. in Kosovo.
它开始于我飞回伦敦 在科索沃的联合国任期结束后。
135.I flew back and had dinner with the Kosovo prime minister and said to him, “Look, I’m proposing that I come and advise you on the diplomacy.
我飞回后,在同科索沃的首相晚餐时,我对他说, “看,我提议我来给你当外交参谋。
136.I know this stuff. It’s what I do. Why don’t I come and help you?”
我很了解这个领域。我就是做这个的。为什么我不来帮助你呢?”
137.And he raised his glass of raki to me and said, “Yes, Carne. Come.”
他举起他的葡萄酒酒杯跟我说, “好,卡恩。来吧。”
138.And I came to Kosovo and advised the Kosovo government.
于是我来到了科索沃 为科索沃政府出谋献策。
139.Independent Diplomat ended up advising three successive Kosovo prime ministers and the multi-party negotiation team of Kosovo.
独立外交家最终帮助了三位科索沃首相 和科索沃多党派的谈判。
140.And Kosovo became independent.
科索沃独立了。
141.Independent Diplomat is now established in five diplomatic centers around the world, and we’re advising seven or eight different countries, or political groups,
独立外交家也从此在世界上五个外交中心 建立起来了, 我们帮助咨询了七到八个 不同的国家,政治团体,
142.depending on how you wish to define them — and I’m not big on definitions.
根据你如何定义他们– 我不太注重定义。
143.We’re advising the Northern Cypriots on how to reunify their island.
我们给予北塞关于如何统一它的岛屿的建议。
144.We’re advising the Burmese opposition, the government of Southern Sudan, which — you heard it here first — is going to be a new country within the next few years.
我们为缅甸反对派做咨询, 一个苏丹南部政府, 你可能第一次听说他们– 在接下来的几年内将成为一个新的国家。
145.We’re advising the Polisario Front of the Western Sahara, who are fighting to get their country back from Moroccan occupation after 34 years of dispossession.
我们给波利萨里奥阵线西撒哈拉提建议, 他们为他们的国家 同摩洛哥而战 夺回34年的被剥夺的领土。
146.We’re advising various island states in the climate change negotiations, which is suppose to culminate in Copenhagen.
我们帮助多个岛国谈判气候变化 将会在哥本哈根达到 高潮。
147.There’s a bit of randomness here too because, when I was beginning Independent Diplomat, I went to a party in the House of Lords, which is a ridiculous place,
这里也有随机性 因为,当我开始成为一名独立外交家时, 我参加了英国上议院的聚会, 真是很有趣,
148.but I was holding my drink like this, and I bumped into this guy who was standing behind me.
我就这样拿着酒杯,但遇见了 站在我后边的人
149.And we started talking, and he said — I told him what I was doing, and I told him rather grandly I was going to establish Independent Diplomat in New York.
我们开始谈话,他说道– 我告诉他我是干什么的, 我很隆重地告诉他 我要在纽约成立独立外交家。
150.At that time there was just me — and me and my wife were moving back to New York.
那个时候,只有我, 我和我的妻子准备搬去纽约
151.And he said, “Why don’t you see my colleagues in New York?”
他说道,“为什么你不来看看我在纽约的同事们呢?”
152.And it turned out he worked for an innovation company called ?What If!, which some of you have probably heard of.
结果是 他为一家叫?如果!的创新公司工作。 你们中的有些人可能听说过。
153.And one thing led to another, and I ended up having a desk in ?What If! in New York, when I started Independent Diplomat.
于是一件事引向了另一件事, 我最后在 纽约的?如果!公司工作, 当我开始独立外交家的时候。
154.And watching ?What If!
看到?如果!
155.develop new flavors of chewing gum for Wrigley or new flavors for Coke actually helped me innovate new strategies for the Kosovars and for the Saharawis of the Western Sahara.
为箭牌发明了一种新的口香糖口味 或者可乐的新口味 实际上帮助我想到 新的外交策略,为科索沃 为西部撒哈拉。
156.And I began to realize that there are different ways of doing diplomacy — that diplomacy, like business, is a business of solving problems,
我开始意识到有很多不同的方式来做外交, 外交,就好像做生意, 是个解决问题的经营,
157.and yet the word innovation doesn’t exist in diplomacy; it’s all zero sum games and realpolitik and ancient institutions that have been there for generations
虽然在外交中不存在创新这个词; 这一切都是零和游戏以及现实政治 以及存在了几个世纪的元老型机构
158.and do things the same way they’ve always done things.
和他们一直处理事情的方式。
159.And Independent Diplomat, today, tries to incorporate some of the things I learned at ?What If!.
独立外交家,今天看来, 尝试将我在?如果!学到的一些东西整合起来。
160.We all sit in one office and shout at each other across the office.
我们都在一间办公室,同办公室内的其他人大吵大嚷。
161.We all work on little laptops and try to move desks to change the way we think.
我们都在小型笔记本上工作,试着用移动桌子来改变我们的思维方式。
162.And we use naive experts who may know nothing about the countries we’re dealing with, but may know something about something else to try to inject new thinking
我们用天真的专家们 他们可能对我们面对的国家一无所知, 但是他们可能知道一些其他的事情 尝试将新的想法注入
163.into the problems that we try to address for our clients.
到问题解决中 这正是我们尝试传达给客户的。
164.It’s not easy, because our clients, by definition, are having a difficult time, diplomatically.
这并不简单,因为我们的客户,按定义来说, 都在外交上困难重重
165.There are, I don’t know, some lessons from all of this, personal and political — and in a way, they’re the same thing.
我不知道, 从中的一些经验教训, 个人的,政治上的– 从某种意义上说,都是同样的。
166.The personal one is falling off a cliff is actually a good thing, and I recommend it.
从个人角度上说, 就是从悬崖上摔下去 这实际上是一件好事,我向你们推荐。
167.And it’s a good thing to do at least once in your life just to tear everything up and jump.
在你的人生中这么做一次实际上挺好 只是将一切舍弃再跳跃。
168.The second thing is a bigger lesson about the world today.
第二件事是关于今天这个世界的一个更大的教训。
169.Independent Diplomat is part of a trend which is emerging and evident across the world, which is that the world is fragmenting.
独立外交家是趋势的一部分 它正在世界各地兴起,势不可挡, 世界正在瓦解。
170.States mean less than they used to, and the power of the state is declining.
国家跟它以往的意义相比,已经少了很多, 国家的权利也在下降。
171.That means the power of others things is rising.
那意味着其他东西的权利在上升。
172.Those other things are called non-state actors.
那些是被称为非国家的东西。
173.They may be corporations, they may be mafiosi, they may be nice NGOs, they may anything, any number of things.
它们可能是大公司, 它们可能是黑手党,它们可能是好的非营利性组织, 它们可能是任何东西, 任何数量的东西。
174.We are living in a more complicated and fragmented world.
我们生活在一个更加复杂更加支离破碎的世界中。
175.If governments are less able to affect the problems that affect us in the world, then that means, who is left to deal with them, who has to take greater responsibility to deal with them?
如果政府缺乏影响问题 的能力 从而影响到在这个世界上的我们, 那么意味着,接下来谁将来面对它们, 谁来担负起更大的责任来面对它们?
176.Us.
我们。
177.If they can’t do it, who’s left to deal with it?
如果它们做不了,谁将去解决?
178.We have no choice but to embrace that reality.
我们没有选择,只能接受现实。
179.What this means is it’s no longer good enough to say that international relations, or global affairs, or chaos in Somalia, or what’s going on in Burma is none of your business,
那就是 这些将不能再被说成是足够好的, 国际关系或者说全球大事, 或者是索马里的混乱, 又或者是在缅甸发生的事情都跟你没有关系,
180.and that you can leave it to governments to get on with.
你可以把这些交给政府来处理。
181.I can connect any one of you by six degrees of separation to the Al-Shabaab militia in Somalia.
我能够将你们中的任何一个人 用六度分离法 同索马里的青年保卫兵联系起来。
182.Ask me how later, particularly if you eat fish, interestingly enough, but that connection is there.
待会儿再问我怎么样,但是如果你吃鱼,很有趣的是, 那就是一种联系
183.We are all intimately connected.
我们都紧密地联系在一起
184.And this isn’t just Tom Friedman, it’s actually provable in case after case after case.
这不仅仅是汤姆 弗莱德曼, 这实际上可以通过一个又一个的案件证实。
185.What that means is, instead of asking your politicians to do things, you have to look to yourself to do things.
那意味着,除了要你们的政治家们处理事情, 你们得自己处理事情。
186.And Independent Diplomat is a kind of example of this in a sort of loose way.
独立外交家算是这样的一个例子 不严密的例子。
187.There aren’t neat examples, but one example is this: the way the world is changing is embodied in what’s going on at the place I used to work —
没有完美的例子,但是有这样一个例子: 世界运行的方式正在改变 我过去工作过的地方也在改变,
188.the U.N. Security Council.
联合国安理会也在改变。
189.The U.N. was established in 1945.
联合国成立于一九四五年。
190.Its charter is basically designed to stop conflicts between states — interstate conflict.
联合国宪章基本上 适用于阻止国家间的冲突– 利益冲突
191.Today, 80 percent of the agenda of the U.N. Security Council is about conflicts within states, involving non-state parties — guerillas, separatists,
今天,联合国安理会 百分之八十的日程 都是国内的冲突, 牵扯到非执政党– 游击队,分离主义分子,
192.terrorists, if you want to call them that, people who are not normal governments, who are not normal states.
恐怖分子,如果你们想这么称呼他们, 他们是非政府的,非正式国家的人们。
193.That is the state of the world today.
那就是现今这个世界的状况。
194.When I realized this, and when I look back on my time at the Security Council and what happened with the Kosovars, and I realize that often
当我意识到这一点, 当我回顾我在安理会的时光 科索沃所发生的事情, 我意识到通常
195.the people who were most directly affected by what we were doing in the Security Council weren’t actually there, weren’t actually invited
那些最直接受 我们在安理会所作的决定的影响的人们 却不在那里,却没有受到邀请
196.to give their views to the Security Council, I thought, this is wrong.
在安理会发表他们的观点, 我认为,这是不对的。
197.Something’s got to be done about this.
我们应该修正这个。
198.So I started off in a traditional mode.
所以,我开始了传统的方式。
199.Me and my colleagues at Independent Diplomat went around the U.N. Security Council.
我和我在独立外交家的同事们 走访了联合国安理会
200.We went around 70 U.N. member states — the Kazaks, the Ethiopians, the Israelis — you name them, we went to see them — the secretary general, all of them,
我们拜访了七十个联合国会员国– 哈萨克人,埃塞俄比亚人,以色列人– 你可以一一列举,我们拜访了他们– 联合国秘书长,他们所有的人,
201.and said, “This is all wrong.
都说,”这不对
202.This is terrible that you don’t consult these people who are actually affected.
你不跟那些直接有关系的人们探讨是很糟的。
203.You’ve got to institutionalize a system where you actually invite the Kosovars to come and tell you what they think.
你应该建立一个系统 你可以真正邀请科索沃人 前来告诉你他们是怎么想的。
204.This will allow you to tell me — you can tell them what you think.
这使得你告诉我–你可以告诉他们你是怎么想的。
205.It’ll be great. You can have an exchange.
它太棒了。你们可以互换。
206.You can actually incorporate these people’s views into your decisions, which means your decisions will be more effective and durable.”
你可以将这些人的观点整合进你的决定中, 这样你的决定变得最有效,最耐用。“
207.Super-logical, you would think.
完美的逻辑,你可能这么想。
208.I mean, incredibly logical. So obvious, anybody could get it.
我说,这个想法太棒了。很明显的,任何人都能做到。
209.And of course, everybody got it. Everybody went, “Yes, of course, you’re absolutely right.
当然,每个人都懂了。每个人都说,”对,当然得,你绝对正确。
210.Come back to us in maybe six months.”
六个月后 回来吧。“
211.And of course, nothing happened — nobody did anything.
当然,什么都没有发生。没有人做任何事情
212.The Security Council does its business in exactly the same way today that it did X number of years ago, when I was there 10 years ago.
安理会还是老样子 今天做事的方式同 以往的方式一模一样, 同我十年前在那里的时候一样
213.So we looked at that observation of basically failure and thought, what can we do about it.
我们看着 这次的失败, 想着我们还能做些什么。
214.And I thought, I’m buggered if I’m going to spend the rest of my life lobbying for these crummy governments to do what needs to be done.
我想到,如果我 将我的余生用于 游说于这些政府 我会累死的。
215.So what we’re going to do is we’re actually going to set up these meetings ourselves.
所以,接下来 我们自己举办这些会议。
216.So now, Independent Diplomat is in the process of setting up meetings between the U.N. Security Council and the parties to the disputes
现在,独立外交家 正在筹备在联合国安理会 和充满纠纷的党派之间 的会议
217.that are on the agenda of the Security Council.
在安理会日程上的会议。
218.So we will be bringing Darfuri rebel groups, the Northern Cypriots and the Southern Cypriots, rebels from Aceh, and awful long laundry list
我们带来了 达尔富尔反政府组织, 北塞普勒斯人和南塞普勒斯人, 来自亚齐省的叛军, 还有造成世界混乱冲突的
219.of chaotic conflicts around the world.
一份长长的名单。
220.And we will be trying to bring the parties to New York to sit down in a quiet room in a private setting with no press and actually explain what they want
我们打算将各党派带到纽约 在一间安静的房屋做下来 没有媒体的私下面谈 同联合国的安理会的成员们
221.to the members of the U. N. Security Council, and for the members of the U.N. Security Council to explain to them what they want.
好好谈谈他们想要什么, 联合国的安理会成员们也来谈谈 他们想要什么。
222.So there’s actually a conversation, which has never before happened.
这样一个真实的谈话, 从来没有发生过的谈话。
223.And of course, describing all this, any of you who know politics will think this is incredibly difficult, and I entirely agree with you.
当然,描述这些, 任何对政治有所了解的人都知道这相当相当的困难, 我完全的赞同。
224.The chances of failure are very high, but it certainly won’t happen if we don’t try to make it happen.
失败的可能性非常非常高, 但是并不是不可能发生 如果我们尽力促使它发生。
225.And my politics has changed fundamentally from when I was a diplomat to what I am today, and I think that outputs is what matters, not process,
我的政治观点完全改变了 从我是一名外交家到今天的我, 我认为结果是重要的,而不是过程,
226.not technology, frankly, so much either.
坦白的说,也不是科技。
227.Preach technology to all the Twittering members of all the Iranian demonstrations who are now in political prison in Tehran, where Ahmadinejad remains in power.
宣讲技术 所有伊朗示威的Twittering成员 现在正在德黑兰的政治监狱里, 那里内贾德依旧掌权。
228.Technology has not delivered political change in Iran.
在伊朗,科技不再传达政治变革。
229.You’ve got to look at the outputs, and you got to say to yourself, “What can I do to produce that particular output?”
看看结果,你会对自己说, ”我能对造成这样的结果做些什么吗?“
230.That is the politics of the 21st century, and in a way, Independent Diplomat embodies that fragmentation, that change, that is happening to all of us.
这就是二十一世纪世界的政治。 从某种方式上说,独立外交家 呈现出了那些正在发生的我们身边的 那些片断,那些改变。
231.That’s my story. Thanks.
那就是我的故事。谢谢。