CameronHerold_让我们将孩子们培养成企业家【中英文对照】

1.I would be willing to bet that I’m the dumbest guy in the room because I couldn’t get through school. I struggled with school.
我敢打赌说在座的各位都比我聪明 因为我在学校里成绩很差,无法完成我的学业
2.But what I knew at a very early age was that I loved money and I loved business and I loved this entrepreneurial thing, and I was raised to be an entrepreneur,
但我很早就知道 我喜欢经商和赚钱 我喜欢这种创业经商的活动 我生来就是一块做企业家的料
3.and what I’ve been really passionate about ever since — and I’ve never spoken about this ever, until now — so this is the first time anyone’s ever heard it, except my wife three days ago,
我对创业一直以来非常热忱 我之前从未说过这些,一直到今天 除了3天前我对妻子说过这些话,你们是第一个听到这些话的人
4.because she said, “What are you talking about?” and I told her — is that I think we miss an opportunity to find these kids who have the entrepreneurial traits,
因为她问我:“你说的是什么意思?” 我就告诉她 我认为我们丧失了一个大好机会 去发掘一些 具有企业家潜质的孩子
5.and to groom them or show them that being an entrepreneur is actually a cool thing.
来打造他们或者展示给他们看 当一名企业家是多么酷的一件事情
6.It’s not something that is a bad thing and is vilified, which is what happens in a lot of society.
而并不是一件招人诋毁的坏事 在很多地方这样的事情会发生
7.Kids, when we grow up, have dreams, and we have passions, and we have visions, and somehow we get those things crushed.
当我们还是成长的孩童时,我们有着梦想 我们有着热情和憧憬 但不知何故,我们不再拥有这些东西
8.We get told that we need to study harder or be more focused or get a tutor.
取而代之的是我们被教导要努力学习 多专注一点或者参加课外补习
9.My parents got me a tutor in French, and I still suck in French.
我的父母给我请了一个法语家教 但我的法语还是很烂
10.Two years ago, I was the highest-rated lecturer at MIT’s entrepreneurial master’s program.
两年前,我被麻省理工学院企业家硕士课程 被评为教得最好的讲师
11.And it was a speaking event in front of groups of entrepreneurs from around the world.
当时我要在来自全球各地的众多企业家面前演讲
12.When I was in grade two, I won a city-wide speaking competition, but nobody had ever said, “Hey, this kid’s a good speaker.
当我还在大学2年级,我就赢了所在城市的演讲大赛 但没人曾说过, “瞧,这个娃演讲得很不错
13.He can’t focus, but he loves walking around and getting people energized.”
虽然他注意力不集中,但他喜欢到处走动,激励身边的人.”
14.No one said, “Get him a coach in speaking.”
没人说,“给他请一个演讲的教练吧.”
15.They said, get me a tutor in what I suck at.
但他们说,给我请一个家教来弥补我的不足之处
16.So as kids show these traits — and we need to start looking for them — I think we should be raising kids to be entrepreneurs instead of lawyers.
所以孩童们展现了这些潜质 而我们要开始寻找这样的孩子 我认为我们应该把孩子们 培养成企业家而不是律师
17.Unfortunately the school system is grooming this world to say, “Hey, let’s be a lawyer or let’s be a doctor,”
但很不幸,学校的教育 把这个世界影响成: “嘿,当律师吧,做医生吧,”
18.and we’re missing that opportunity because no one ever says, “Hey, be an entrepreneur.”
我们失去了一个机会,因为 从未有人说,“嘿,你要做企业家.”
19.Entrepreneurs are people — because we have a lot of them in this room — who have these ideas and these passions or see these needs in the world
企业家是这样的人–这个屋子里就有很多的企业家 一旦有了想法和热情,或看到世界上的需求
20.and we decide to stand up and do it.
就会挺身而出,开始动手
21.And we put everything on the line to make that stuff happen.
我们会想尽一切办法来实现自己的想法
22.We have the ability to get those groups of people around us that want to kind of build that dream with us, and I think if we could get kids
也会有能力吸引到和我们同样的人加入我们 和我们一起实现梦想 我想如果可以让孩子们
23.to embrace the idea at a young age of being entrepreneurial, we could change everything in the world that is a problem today.
在年幼的时候就拥有做创业家的理念 恐怕现在世界上的很多问题都可以得到解决
24.Every problem that’s out there, somebody has the idea for.
只要出现问题,就会有人提出解决之道
25.And as a young kid, nobody can say it can’t happen because you’re too dumb to realize that you couldn’t figure it out.
作为一名孩童,没有事情是不可能的 只是因为你笨到 你都不知道该怎么办
26.I think we have an obligation as parents and a society to start teaching our kids to fish instead of giving them the fish — the old parable: “If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day.
我认为作为家长和社会都有一个责任 要教会我们的孩子如何学习知识 而不是教给他们知识本身 古老的谚语说得好
27.If you teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime.”
“授人以鱼不如授人以渔”
28.If we can teach our kids to become entrepreneurial — the ones that show those traits to be — like we teach the ones who have science gifts to go on in science,
如果我们能教育孩子们成为企业家 尤其是那些有企业家天赋的孩子们 就像我们培养有科研天赋的孩子们成为科学家一样
29.what if we saw the ones who had entrepreneurial traits and taught them to be entrepreneurs?
如果我们发现了那些有经商天赋的孩子们 并教会他们成为企业家,世界会怎样?
30.We could actually have all these kids spreading businesses instead of waiting for government handouts.
我们本来可以让这些孩子们到处经商并搞活市场 而不是等着政府来拨款刺激经济
31.What we do is we sit and teach our kids all the things they shouldn’t do: Don’t hit; don’t bite; don’t swear.
但我们所做的却是告诉孩子们这个那个都不能做 不要打人,不要咬人,不要发誓
32.Right now we teach our kids to go after really good jobs, you know, and the school system teaches them to go after things like being a doctor and being a lawyer
现在的小孩子被告之将来要找一份很好的工作 你知道,学校里的教育告诉他们要找到 医生或者律师之类的职业
33.and being an accountant and a dentist and a teacher and a pilot.
或是会计师,牙医 教书匠或是飞行员
34.And the media says that it’s really cool if we could go out and be a model or a singer or a sports hero like Luongo, Crosby.
媒体则告诉他们成为模特或是歌手 是一件很风光的事情 或者成为像Sidney Crosby(加拿大职业冰球手)那样的运动明星
35.Our MBA programs do not teach kids to be entrepreneurs.
我们的MBA教育没能教会孩子们如何成为企业家
36.The reason that I avoided an MBA program — other than the fact that I couldn’t get into any because I had a 61 percent average out of high school
我之所以不去读MBA— 除了我不够格这个事实之外 因为我高中平均成绩只有61%
37.and then 61 percent average at the only school in Canada that accepted me, Carlton — but our MBA programs don’t teach kids to be entrepreneurs.
而这61%的平均成绩 在加拿大只能上Carlton这样的学校—— 另外的原因是我们的MBA课程并不教怎样成为企业家
38.They teach them to go work in corporations.
而是教学生去公司里如何工作
39.So who’s starting these companies? It’s these random few people.
请问是谁创立了这些公司呢?是那些数量很少的企业家
40.Even in popular literature, the only book I’ve ever found — and this should be on all of your reading lists — the only book I’ve ever found
甚至在大众书籍中,我能找到唯一的一本书 你们应该把这本书放在必读条目上 这本我能找到的唯一的
41.that makes the entrepreneur into the hero is “Atlas Shrugged.”
将企业家描述成英雄的书的名字是《地球颠栗》
42.Everything else in the world tends to look at entrepreneurs and say that we’re bad people.
其余的则带着有色眼镜看待企业家 说我们不是什么好人
43.I look at even my family.
我想起我的家人
44.Both my grandfathers were entrepreneurs. My dad was an entrepreneur.
我的爷爷和外公都是企业家,我的父亲也是
45.Both my brother and sister and I, all three of us own companies as well.
我的兄妹和我三个人都开了自己的公司
46.And we all decided to start these things because it’s really the only place we fit.
我们都决定了开始做这样的事 是因为只有做这个事情才最合适我们了
47.We didn’t fit in the normal work. We couldn’t work for somebody else because we’re too stubborn and we have all these other traits.
我们并不适合做普通的工作,我们不会给别人打工 因为我们太倔强了,以及与之类似的企业家的性格
48.But kids could be entrepreneurs as well.
但孩子们也可以成为企业家
49.I’m a big part of a couple organizations globally called the Entrepreneurs’ Organization and the Young Presidents’ Organization.
我是几个全球组织的重要分子 名称是企业家组织和青年主席组织
50.I just came back from speaking in Barcelona at the YPO global conference, and everyone that I met over there who’s an entrepreneur struggled with school.
我刚从巴塞罗纳演讲归来 参加了在那举办的青年主席组织大会 我在那遇到的每个人 只要他是企业家 都有着在学校里成绩差的经历
51.I have 18 out of the 19 signs of attention deficit disorder diagnosed.
19种注意力缺乏症的征兆,我被诊断出18种
52.So this thing right here is freaking me out.
所以在我面前的这个玩意让我心神不宁呀
53.(Laughter) It’s probably why I’m a little bit panicked right now — other than all the caffeine that I’ve had and the sugar — but this is really creepy for an entrepreneur.
(笑声) 这可能是为什么现在我的心有点乱—— 也有可能是我喝下的咖啡和糖的缘故—— 但作为一名企业家这确实很奇怪
54.Attention deficit disorder, bipolar disorder.
注意力缺乏症,双相障碍
55.Do you know that bipolar disorder is nicknamed the CEO disease?
你知道双相障碍被戏称为CEO综合症吗?
56.Ted Turner’s got it. Steve Jobs has it.
Ted Turner(CNN创办者)有此症状,Steve Jobs(苹果CEO)也有
57.All three of the founders of Netscape had it.
网景公司的三个创办人都有此症
58.I could go on and on.
我还可以说出很多这样的例子
59.Kids — you can see these signs in kids.
孩子们——你可以在孩子们身上发现这些
60.And what we’re doing is we’re giving them Ritalin and saying, “Don’t be an entrepreneurial type.
但我们却递给他们利他林(药物)并说, “不要成为企业家那样的人,
61.Fit into this other system and try to become a student.”
适应另外一种环境并成为一名学生吧。”
62.Sorry, entrepreneurs aren’t students.
对不起,企业家不是学生
63.We fast-track. We figure out the game.
我们走捷径。我们看清怎样玩这个游戏。
64.I stole essays. I cheated on exams.
我偷窃论文,考试作弊
65.I hired kids to do my accounting assignments in university for 13 consecutive assignments.
我在大学里雇人做我的会计学作业 一连做了13次作业
66.But as an entrepreneur you don’t do accounting, you hire accountants.
但你要知道企业家不做会计的事情,只是聘请会计而已
67.So I just figured that out earlier.
所以我早就知道了这一点
68.(Laughter) (Applause) At least I can admit I cheated in university; most of you won’t.
(笑声) (掌声) 至少我敢承认我大学考试作弊,而你们很多人却不敢.
69.I’m also quoted — and I told the person who wrote the textbook — I’m now quoted in that exact same university textbook in every Canadian university and college studies.
我也被写进了教科书里——我告诉了写书的人我作弊的事情 而且是被写进了同样的教科书中 被用在每一所加拿大的大学和学院里
70.In managerial accounting, I’m chapter eight.
管理会计学的第八章中有提到我
71.I open up chapter eight talking about budgeting.
我是第八章讲授预算的引子
72.And I told the author, after they did my interview, that I cheated in that same course.
在作者面试完我后,我告诉她我在那个科目中作过弊
73.And she thought it was too funny to not include it anyway.
她觉得我的故事很有趣,应该写进教科书里
74.But kids, you can see these signs in them.
但是你可以在孩子们身上看到这些征兆
75.The definition of an entrepreneur is “a person who organizes, operates and assumes the risk of a business venture.”
企业家的定义是“组织和运营商业活动 并衡量其风险”
76.That doesn’t mean you have to go to an MBA program.
这并不代表你必须要读MBA
77.It doesn’t mean you have to get through school.
也不代表你一定要从学校顺利毕业
78.It just means that those few things have to feel right in your gut.
这只意味着,有少许几件事情在你心里能正确地判断就够了
79.And we’ve heard those things about “is it nurture or is it nature,” right?
我们也听说过是选择人工培养还是自然成长
80.Is it thing one or thing two? What is it?
是前者还是后者?究竟是哪一个?
81.Well, I don’t think it’s either. I think it can be both.
嗯,我觉得都不对。我觉得两者皆有可能。
82.I was groomed as an entrepreneur.
我从小就被训练成为企业家
83.When I was growing up as a young kid, I had no choice, because I was taught at a very early, young age — when my dad realized I wasn’t going to fit into
当我还是个小孩子的时候,我没有什么可选的 因为我在很小很早的时候就被告之—— 当我的父亲发现到我不能适应
84.everything else that was being taught to me in school — that he could teach me to figure out business at an early age.
在学校里教给我的那些东西 他决定从我很小的时候就教我如何做生意
85.He groomed us, the three of us, to hate the thought of having a job and to love the fact of creating companies that we could employ other people.
他训练我们这三个孩子 让我们一想到给别人打工就厌恶 让我们憧憬着创建公司和雇佣员工
86.My first little business venture: I was seven years old, I was in Winnipeg, and I was lying in my bedroom with one of those long extension cords.
我第一次做生意是在Winnipeg,那会我只有七岁 我当时躺在我卧室的床上打着电话
87.And I was calling all the dry cleaners in Winnipeg to find out how much would the dry cleaners pay me for coat hangers.
我打给了Winnipeg的所有的干洗店 想知道干洗店愿意付多少钱 买我的晾衣架
88.And my mom came into the room and she said, “Where are you going to get the coat hangers to sell to the dry cleaners?”
我的母亲走进房间对我说, “你去哪弄晾衣架来卖给干洗店呢?”
89.And I said, “Let’s go and look in the basement.”
我说,“我们去地下室瞧瞧吧。”
90.And we went down to the basement. And I opened up this cupboard.
于是我们到了地下室。我把橱柜的门打开
91.And there was about a thousand coat hangers that I’d collected.
里面有近一千个我收集的晾衣架
92.Because, when I told her I was going out to play with the kids, I was going door to door in the neighborhood to collect coat hangers
因为当我告诉母亲我出去是找别的小孩子玩的时候 其实我是在挨家挨户地收集晾衣架
93.to put in the basement to sell.
并把它们存放在地下室等待出售
94.Because I saw her a few weeks before that — you could get paid. They used to pay you two cents per coat hanger.
因为这几个星期她不在我身边—— 你可以赚到钱,他们会付你一个衣架2分钱
95.So I was just like, well there’s all kinds of coat hangers.
所以我想,有很多种晾衣架呀
96.And so I’ll just go get them.
我应该去收集一些衣架。
97.And I knew she wouldn’t want me to go get them, so I just did it anyway.
而且我知道她不想让我去做这些事情,但我还是去做了
98.And I learned that you could actually negotiate with people.
我也学到你其实可以和别人讨价还价
99.This one person offered me three cents and I got him up to three and a half.
有个人付我3美分,但我和他谈价谈到了3美分半
100.I even knew at a seven-year-old age that I could actually get a fractional percent of a cent, and people would pay that because it multiplied up.
我甚至在我七岁的时候就知道了 我其实可以把1美分拆成更小的单位 当累计很多这样的单位后,别人仍然可以付给你钱
101.At seven years old I figured it out. I got three and a half cents for a thousand coat hangers.
我七岁就明白了。我的1000个晾衣架每个3美分半。
102.I sold license plate protectors door to door.
我还挨家挨户卖过汽车牌照保护膜
103.My dad actually made me go find someone who would sell me these things at wholesale.
我父亲让我去找那些批发商 他们会以批发价格卖给我
104.And at nine years old, I walked around in the city of Sudbury selling license plate protectors door to door to houses.
在我九岁时,我走遍了Sudbury的大街小巷 挨家挨户地售卖汽车牌照框
105.And I remember this one customer so vividly because I also did some other stuff with these clients.
我记得很清楚有这么一位顾客 因为我也卖给顾客们其他的东西
106.I sold newspapers.
我有卖报纸
107.And he wouldn’t buy a newspaper from me ever.
他从未向我买过哪怕是一份报纸
108.But I was convinced I was going to get him to buy a license plate protector.
当我很有把握地觉得会说服他买下一个汽车牌照框
109.And he’s like, “Well, we don’t need one.”
他一开口就说,“我们不需要这个玩意”
110.And I said, “But you’ve got two cars …” — I’m nine years old.
我说,“但你有两辆车呀…”——我才九岁
111.I’m like, “But you have two cars and they don’t have license plate protectors.”
我像在说,“你有两辆车但它们都没有汽车牌照框”
112.And he said, “I know.”
他接着说,“我知道.”
113.And I said, “This car here’s got one license plate that’s all crumpled up.”
我说,”这辆车的牌照都已经都变皱了”
114.And he said, “Yes, that’s my wife’s car.” And I said, “Why don’t we just test one on the front of your wife’s car and see if it lasts longer.”
他说,“是啊,那是我妻子的车。” 我说,“为什么不买一个 在你妻子的车上试试,看看有没有效果。”
115.So I knew there were two cars with two license plates on each.
因此我知道如果有两个牌照分别在两辆车上面
116.If I couldn’t sell all four, I could at least get one.
如果我不能一次卖四个,至少我可以卖一个
117.I learned that at a young age.
我很小的时候就学到了这个道理
118.I did comic book arbitrage.
我倒卖过漫画书
119.When I was about 10 years old, I sold comic books out of our cottage on Georgian Bay.
我卖漫画书是在我大约十岁的时候 在我们村外的Georgian湾上
120.And I would go biking up to the end of the beach and buy all the comics from the poor kids.
我会骑着自行车抵达海滩的一头 从穷孩子们那儿买进所有的漫画
121.And then I would go back to the other end of the beach and sell them to the rich kids.
然后回到另一头倒卖给那些有钱的小孩们
122.But it was obvious to me, right? Buy low, sell high.
在我来看最明显不过了,对吗?买低卖高。
123.You’ve got this demand over here that has money.
这边既有需求又有着大把的钞票
124.Don’t try to sell to the poor kids; they don’t have cash. The rich people do. Go get some.
不要尝试着卖给没钱的小孩;他们付不起钱,找有钱人做生意吧
125.So that’s obvious, right.
再简单不过了,对吗?
126.It’s like a recession. So, there’s a recession.
和经济衰退一样,现在的经济正在衰退
127.There’s still 13 trillion dollars circulating in the U.S. economy.
但还是有13兆美元在美国的经济中流通呀
128.Go get some of that. And I learned that at a young age.
争取好好利用这些钱吧,我小时候就懂了
129.I also learned, don’t reveal your source, because I got beat up after about four weeks of doing this because one of the rich kids found out where I was buying my comics from,
我还学到,不要让别人知道你的供货渠道 卖漫画的四个星期后我被人海扁了一顿 因为一个有钱的小孩发现了漫画是从哪来的
130.and he didn’t like the fact that he was paying a lot more.
多付出那些钱来买我的漫画书让他很生气
131.I was forced to get a paper route at 10 years old.
我十岁时被逼找到一份递送报纸的差事
132.I didn’t really want a paper route, but at 10, my dad said, “That’s going to be your next business.”
我真的不想做递送报纸这份活 但父亲对10岁的我说,“这会将是你的下一个生意机会”
133.So not only would he get me one, but I had to get two, and then he wanted me to hire someone to deliver half the papers, which I did, and then I realized that collecting tips was where you made all the money.
所以一个还不够,他又给我找到了另一份 然后他让我雇人来递送其中一半的报纸 我这样做了,然后我意识到收小费是最赚钱的
134.So I would collect the tips and get payment.
于是我便收起了小费来赚钱
135.So I would go and collect for all the papers.
我会去收所有递送报纸的小费
136.He could just deliver them.
而我的工人则去递送报纸
137.Because then I realized I could make the money.
由此我知道了我可以从中赚钱
138.By this point, I was definitely not going to be an employee.
这个时候,我已经很确定地知道我不会去给人打工了
139.(Laughter) My dad owned an automotive and industrial repair shop.
(笑声) 我父亲有一个汽车修理厂
140.He had all these old automotive parts lying around.
工厂里闲置着一些旧的汽车零部件
141.They had this old brass and copper.
零部件都是铜做的,很旧了
142.I asked him what he did with it, and he said he just throws it out.
于是我问父亲会怎样处理这些东西,他说会扔掉
143.I said, “But wouldn’t somebody pay you for that?” And he goes, “Maybe.”
我说,“难道没人买这些东西吗?”他说,“也许吧.”
144.Remember at 10 years old — so 34 years ago I saw opportunity in this stuff.
那是在34年前,当我还是10岁的时候 我从中看到了机会
145.I saw there was money in garbage.
我在垃圾中看到了价值
146.And I was actually collecting it from all the automotive shops in the area on my bicycle.
我开始骑着车到处收集这些旧的汽车零配件
147.And then my dad would drive me on Saturdays to a scrap metal recycler where I got paid.
而我的父亲会在星期六开车送我 前往一个废金属收购站卖掉这些东西
148.And I thought that was kind of cool.
我当时觉得这样做很有意思
149.Strangely enough, 30 years later, we’re building 1-800-GOT-JUNK?
很奇怪的是30年后,我们才有废物收购电话
150.and making money off that too.
从废物收购中赚钱
151.I built these little pincushions when I was 11 years old in Cubs, and we made these pin cushions for our moms for Mother’s Day.
我在11岁时做了这些小小的针垫 这些都是为了庆祝母亲节为妈妈们所做的
152.And you made these pincushions out of wooden clothespins — when we used to hang clothes on clotheslines outside.
针垫是用木制的衣夹做的 衣夹是用来在户外的绳子上晾衣服的
153.And you’d make these chairs.
而且你还得做这些椅子
154.And I had these little pillows that I would sew up.
我缝制了这些小枕头
155.And you could stuff pins in them.
你可以把针插入里面
156.Because people used to sew and they needed a pin cushion.
因为过去人们常常缝衣服,他们需要用针垫
157.But what I realized was that you had to have options.
但我意识到顾客想要有多的选择
158.So I actually spray painted a whole bunch of them brown.
于是我把很多针垫喷涂成褐色
159.And then when I went to the door, it wasn’t, “Do you want to buy one?”
然后我上门售卖,我不会说,“你想买一个吗?”
160.It was, “Which color would you like?”
而是说,”你想要哪种颜色的?”
161.Like I’m 10 years old; you’re not going to say no to me, especially if you have two options — you have the brown one or the clear one.
你不会忍心拒绝一个十岁小孩子的吧 何况你可以从两个颜色中选一个;褐色或者无色
162.So I learned that lesson at a young age.
于是我在很小的时候就学会了这个窍门
163.I learned that manual labor really sucks.
我明白了体力活很不好做
164.Right, like cutting lawns is brutal.
对吗,像割草工作就很辛苦
165.But because I had to cut lawns all summer for all of our neighbors and get paid to do that, I realized that recurring revenue from one client is amazing.
但因为我整个夏天要给我们所有的邻居除草并挣点钱 我意识到回头客的钱 实在是太好赚了
166.That if I land this client once, and every week I get paid by that person, that’s way better than trying to sell one clothespin thing to one person.
如果我有办法找到客户和我做生意 然后每个星期他会付给我钱 这样赚钱会比去沿街售卖要强得多 一个衣夹只可以卖给一个人
167.Because you can’t sell them more.
因为你不能卖更多的衣夹了
168.So I love that recurring revenue model I started to learn at a young age.
所以我很小就学会并爱上了这种重复收益的模式
169.Remember, I was being groomed to do this. I was not allowed to have jobs.
记住我可是被训练成这样的,我可不能去找工作。
170.I would caddy, I would go to the golf course and caddy for people.
我会去高尔夫球场给人捡球,拿球杆,做一名球童
171.But I realized that there was this one hill on our golf course, the 13th hole that had this huge hill.
我注意到球场里有一个山坡 第13个洞口就在这个高高的山坡上
172.And people could never get their bags up it.
人们从来不曾将他们的球杆袋拿上去过
173.So I would sit there with a lawn chair and just carry up all the people who didn’t have caddies.
于是我在那里的草地上摆了个椅子,坐在上面 专门负责为没有球童的人拿球杆袋
174.I would carry their golf bags up to the top, and they’d pay me a dollar.
我会将他们的袋子扛到山顶,然后他们付给我1美元

ted演讲稿中英文对照

BruceMcCall_山寨怀旧【中英文对照】

2024-4-7 10:19:58

ted演讲稿中英文对照

CarmenAgraDeedy_卡门阿格拉迪地编故事【中英文对照】

2024-4-7 10:21:39

搜索