BrewsterKahle_构建免费的数字图书馆【中英文对照】

1.We really need to put the best we have to offer within reach of our children.
我们的确需要把最好的资讯提供给孩子们,让他们随手可得。
2.If we don’t do that, we’re going to get the generation we deserve.
如果我们不那么做,那我们会得到我们应得的一代,
3.They’re going to learn from whatever it is they have around them.
他们将会从周围的一切事物中随意地学习知识。
4.And we, as now the elite, parents, librarians, professionals, whatever it is, a bunch of our activities are, in fact, in trying to get the best we have to offer
而我们, 社会精英、家长、图书管理员、专业人士、以及其他各界人士, 事实上已经开展了一系列的活动,从而尽可能地提供最好的资讯
5.within reach of those around us, or as broadly as we can.
让我们身边的人随手可得,并尽量将范围扩大
6.I’m going to start and end this talk with a couple things that are carved in stone.
在这个演讲的开始和结尾, 我会讲述一些刻在石碑上的事情
7.One is what’s on the Boston Public Library.
一块位于波士顿公共图书馆。
8.Carved above their door is, “Free to All.”
图书馆的大门上刻着”一切都是免费的“
9.It’s kind of an inspiring statement, and I’ll go back at the end of this.
这种说法让人深受启发, 我们会在演讲即将结束时再次回顾这句话。
10.I’m a librarian, and what I’m trying to do is bring all of the works of knowledge to as many people as want to read it.
我是一个图书管理员,我尽力地把所有的知识以及作品 提供给需要阅读它们的人。
11.And the idea of using technology is perfect for us.
运用现代科技是十分理想的。
12.I think we have the opportunity to one-up the Greeks.
我认为我们有机会超越希腊人。
13.It’s not easy to one-up the Greeks. But with the industriousness of the Egyptians, they were able to build the Library of Alexandria —
想要超越希腊人是不容易的。但依靠埃及人的勤勉, 他们建成了亚历山大图书馆——
14.the idea of a copy of every book of all the peoples of the world.
以实现收藏世界上每本书的梦想。
15.The problem was, you actually had to go to Alexandria to go to it.
问题是,你需要去亚历山大图书馆才能看到这一切。
16.On other hand, if you did, then great things happened.
另一个方面,如果你真这么做了,那么大事就要发生了。
17.I think we can one-up the Greeks and achieve something.
我认为我们可以比希腊人更胜一筹,去实现某些梦想。
18.And I’m going to try to argue only one point today: that universal access to all knowledge is within our grasp.
今天我打算只探讨一个观点: 把我们可以获得的所有知识提供给所有人。
19.So if I’m successful, then you’ll actually come away thinking, yeah, we could actually achieve the great vision of everything ever published,
如果我成功了,你一定会这样想, 是的,我们的确可以实现将所有已经出版,
20.everything that was ever meant for distribution, available to anybody in the world that’s ever wanted to have access to it.
或曾经想要出版的知识, 呈现给世界上所有需要他们的人的伟大梦想。
21.Yes, there’s issues about how money should be distributed and that’s still being refigured out.
是的,这时出现了资金该如何分配的问题, 我们还在探索怎样解决这个问题
22.But I’d say there’s plenty of money, and there’s plenty of demand, so we can actually achieve that.
但我要说,这里有足够的资金,也有大量的需求。 所以我们是可以实现它的。
23.But I’m going to go over the technological, social and sort of where are we as a whole trying to get to that particular vision.
但是我会逐步探讨在技术层面,社会层面 以及目前进行的成果以达到这个目标
24.And the way I’m going to try to do this is do it like the Amazon.com website — the books, music, video and just go step, media type by media type,
我将尽力用类似Amazon网站的方式来完成它 书籍、音乐、影像分门别类,按媒介的种类进行归档
25.just go and say, all right, how we doing on this?
然后,我们选择其中一个类别开始
26.So if we start with books, you know, sort of where are we?
假设我们从书籍开始,就从我们现有的资源着手
27.Well, first you have to, as an engineer, scope the problem. How big is it?
首先,作为一个工程师,你必须要衡量一下问题的范围,有多少数量的图书?
28.If you wanted to put all of the published works online so that anybody could have it available, well, how big a problem is it?
我们现在设想的是把所有出版了的作品放在网上 因此任何人都可以随意取阅,那么,这个问题有多大呢?
29.Well, we don’t really know, but the largest print library in the world is the Library of Congress — it’s 26 million volumes, 26 million volumes.
我们不知道,世界上最大的出版物藏库 就是美国国会图书馆——那里有2600万卷藏书
30.It’s by far and away the largest print library in the world.
它是目前世界上最大的出版物图书馆
31.And a book, if you had a book, is about a megabyte, so — you know, if you had it in Microsoft Word.
假设每一本书,大约是1兆字节的容量 并且,这本书是微软Word格式的
32.So a megabyte, 26 million megabytes is 26 terabytes, it goes mega, giga, tera, 26 terabytes.
一兆一本书,2600万兆字节(MB)就是26太字节(TB) 容量大小单位依次是MB,GB,TB,那里有26TB容量的信息
33.26 terabytes fits in a computer system that’s about this big, on spinning Linux drives, and it costs about 60,000 dollars.
如果把26TB的数据导入到大约这么大、装有 Linux操作系统的计算机中,需要花费6万美元
34.So for the cost of a house — or around here, a garage — you can put — you can have spinning all of the words in the Library of Congress.
因此,只需要一所房子,甚至只是这么大的一个车库 你就可以存储美国国会图书馆中所有书籍的内容
35.That’s pretty neat.
而且这样存放是非常简洁的
36.Then the question is: what do you get?
但问题是:你得到了什么?
37.You know, is it worth trying to get there?
这样做是有价值的吗?
38.Do you actually want it online?
你确实希望把他们放到网上?
39.Some of the first things that people do is they make book readers that allow you to search inside the books, and that’s kind of fun.
一开始人们做的事情是让读者们 可以在书籍里任意搜寻一些资料,这种做法非常有趣
40.And you can download these things and look around them in new and different ways.
你可以下载这些读物,然后用新的、不同往常的方式去查阅他们
41.And you can get at them remotely, if you happen to have a laptop.
如果你有一台笔记本电脑,那么你就可以进行远程下载
42.There’s starting to be some of these sort of page turn-ee interfaces that look a whole lot like books in certain ways, and you can search them, make little tabs, and it’s kind of cute —
程序中会有一个可以翻页的书籍界面 使得程序看起来就像是一本书 你可以搜寻书籍中的某些内容,设置书签,这会非常简洁有趣
43.still very book-like — on your laptop.
并且跟普通的书籍一样,呈现在你的笔记本电脑中
44.But I don’t know, reading things on a laptop — whenever I pull up my laptop it always feels like work.
但是,我觉得,在笔记本电脑上阅读电子书 感觉就像是在工作
45.I think that’s one of the reasons why the Kindle is so great.
也许这就是Kindle之所以如此成功的一个原因
46.I don’t have to feel like I’m at work to read a Kindle; it’s starting to be a little bit more specified.
用Kindle阅读电子书不会让你觉得像是在工作 让人感觉就是在阅读
47.But I have to say that there’s older technologies that I tend to like.
但是,我还是喜欢那些老技术做出来的东西
48.I like the physical book.
我喜欢阅读实体书籍
49.And I think we can go and use our technology to go and digitize things — put them on the net and then download, print them and bind them and end up with books again.
我认为可以用技术将书籍内容数字化 然后发布到网络上,提供给人们下载 之后再将这些内容打印、装订,最终又形成一本书的样子
50.And we sort of said, well, how hard is this?
话是这么说的,但是,这将会有多难呢?
51.And it turns out to not be very hard.
事实上,一点儿也不难
52.We actually went off to make a bookmobile.
我们曾经做过一个流动图书馆
53.And a bookmobile — the size of a van with a satellite dish, a printer, binder and cutter, and kids make their own books.
流动图书馆,就是一辆小货车(面包车),里面有卫星天线 打印机,粘合剂和切割用具,这样年轻人就可以做出他们自己的书
54.It costs about three dollars to download, print and bind a normal old book.
下载,打印并装订一本普通的书籍需要花费3美元
55.And they actually come out kind of nice looking.
这样的书看起来非常漂亮
56.You can actually get really good-looking books for on the order of one penny per page, sort of the parts cost for doing this.
你可以得到这些好看的书 成本也就是一美分一页,当然这只是做这本书所花费成本的一部分
57.So the idea of this technology actually may end up putting books back in people’s hands again.
使用这种技术的创意,最终也会把书 传递给读者
58.There are some other bookmobiles running around.
现在也存在一些其他人做的流动图书馆
59.This is Eric Eldred making books at Walden Pond, Thoreau’s works.
这位是EricEldred,他主要做WaldenPond和Thoreau的作品
60.This is just before he got kicked out by the Parks Services for competing with the bookstore there.
他刚刚被从公园服务中剔除 原因就是他和当地的书店竞争
61.In India, they’ve got another couple bookmobiles running around.
在印度,那里有一对夫妻经营的流动图书馆
62.And this is the opening day at the Library of Alexandria, the new Library of Alexandria, in Egypt.
这是亚历山大图书馆开业时的照片 新亚历山大图书馆,位于埃及
63.It was quite popularly attended.
它的出现受到了人们的欢迎
64.And kids starting to make their own books, and a happy kid with the first book that he’s ever owned.
孩子们开始制作他们自己的图书 这个孩子第一次拥有了属于他自己的图书,他非常开心
65.So the idea of being able to use this technology to end up with paper where I can handle sort of sounds a little retro, but I think it still has its place.
这种使用技术来制作那些我能处理的图书的创意 听起来有一些复古 但它依然很有前途
66.And being sort of from the Silicon Valley, sort of Utopia, and — sort of, you know, sort of world, we thought if we can make this technology work in rural Uganda,
联想到硅谷、乌托邦 甚至是全世界 我认为如果这项技术能在乌干达的乡村中得以实现
67.we might have something.
就会取得一些超乎想像的收获
68.So we actually got some funding from the World Bank to try it out.
我们获得了世界银行的资助,并尽最大力量去将其开发出来
69.And we found in about 30 days we could go and take a couple folks from Silicon Valley, fly them to Uganda, buy a car, set up the first internet connection
在30天里,我们从硅谷出发 飞往乌干达,并在那里购买了一辆车,
70.at the National Library of Uganda, figure out what they wanted, and get a program going making books in rural Uganda.
在乌干达的国家图书馆里搭建了第一个互联网链接,找出他们想要的的东西 并准备了一个在乌干达乡村用于制作图书的程序
71.And it actually — so technologically, it works.
从技术角度来讲,这一切都实现了
72.What we found out of this is, we didn’t have the right books.
最终,令我们遗憾的是,我们无法得到最合适的书
73.So the books were in the library. We could get it to people if they’re digitized, but we didn’t know how to quite get them digitized.
书都在图书馆里。如果书籍是数字化的,我们就可以把它做出来送给读者 但我们不知道如何将他们数字化
74.Everybody thought the answer is, send things to India and China.
所有人会想到一个主意,把这件事交给印度和中国
75.And so we’ve tried that, and I’ll go over that in a moment.
我们也正在尝试着,一会儿我将会在这件事情上稍作阐述
76.There are some newer technologies for delivering that have happened that are actually quite exciting as well.
现如今,人们发明了一些新的传送技术 这些技术听起来也让人非常兴奋
77.One is a print-on-demand machine that looks like a Rube Goldberg Machine.
其中一个就是像鲁布·戈德堡机器的按需打印机
78.We have one of these things now. It’s completely cool.
我们现在已经拥有其中的一些设备,这是很酷的
79.It’s all conveyor belt and it makes a book.
传输带到处都是,而且它可以用来制作图书
80.And it’s called the “Espresso Book Machine,”
这个机器被称作”Espresso Book Machine”(Espresso图书制作机)
81.and in about 10 minutes you can press a button and make a book.
你只需要轻轻按下一个按钮,10分钟后,它就会制作出一本书来
82.Something else I’m quite excited about in this particular domain, beyond these sort of kiosky things where you can get books on demand,
我之所以钟情于这个特殊的领域 不仅仅是这些类似便利店的流动图书馆可以制作任何你想要的书籍
83.is some of these new little screens that are coming out.
而是这背后即将实现的一个伟大场景
84.And one of my favorites in this is the 100 dollar laptop.
有一种100美元的便携式电脑是我的最爱之一
85.And I don’t mean to steal any thunder here, but we’ve gone and used one of these things to be an e-book reader.
我并不想在这里博取任何轰动 但我们正在把这种便携式电脑做成电子书阅读器
86.So here’s one of the beta units and you can — it actually turns out to be a really good-looking e-book reader.
这是其中一款测试机型 它看起来是一个不错的电子书阅读器
87.And we have a quick hack that we did to try to put one of our books on it, and it turns out that 200 dots per inch means that you can put scanned books on them that look really good.
我们正在上面写入第一本图书 它的分辨率达到了每英寸200点 这就意味着你可以把扫描过的图书放在上面,并且看起来非常舒服
88.At 200 dots per inch, it’s kind of the equivalent of a 300-dot-print laser printer.
每英寸200点的分辨率(200dpi)等价于一台300点激光打印机的打印效果
89.We’re in good enough shape.
并且它的造型也不错
90.You actually can go and read scanned books quite easily.
大家可以通过它非常方便的去阅读那些被扫描过的图书
91.So the idea of electronic books is starting to come about.
电子书的想法就要产生了
92.But how do you do all this scanning?
但,你怎么去做那些扫描工作?
93.So we thought, okay, well, let’s try out this send books to India thing.
我们经过思考,好吧,我们把书送到印度去进行扫描
94.And there was a project with — funded by the National Science Foundation, sent a bunch of scanners, and the American libraries were supposed to send books.
这里有一个项目,它是由美国国家科学基金会出资支持的,购买了 一些扫描仪用于扫描,美国的图书馆理所当然的要将书送出去扫描
95.Well, they didn’t — they didn’t want to send their books.
但是,他们没有,他们根本就不想把他们自己的书送出去
96.So we bought 100,000 books and sent them to India.
于是,我们购买了100000本书,将他们送到了印度
97.And then we learned why you don’t want to send books to India.
接下来,我们就发现了为什么人家图书馆不把书送到印度的原因
98.The lesson we learned out of this is, scan your own books.
我们得到的教训就是,扫描你自己的图书
99.If you really care about books, you’re going to scan them better, especially if they’re valuable books.
如果你非常喜欢图书,你就会更加仔细认真的扫描 特别是那些书非常有价值的时候
100.If they’re new books and you can just, you know, butcher them because you could just buy another one, that’s not such a big deal in terms of doing high-quality scanning.
如果是新书,那就不同了,你可以“残害”他们 因为你可以再买一本新的 对于高质量的扫描来说这不算什么大事
101.But do things that you love.
但,一定要去做那些你喜欢做的事
102.But the Indians have been scanning a lot of their own books — about 300,000 now — doing very well.
印度人已经高质量的完成了他们自己书籍的扫描 大约有300000本左右
103.The Chinese did over a million and the Egyptians are about 30,000.
中国人大约完成了有一百万多,埃及人仅仅是30000本的样子
104.But we sent — thought, OK, if we’re going to need to do this, let’s do it in-library.
我们已经送去了这么多,如果我们还需要继续做下去,还是选择在图书馆里吧
105.How do we go and do this, and how do we get it down so that it’s a cost point that we could afford?
我们该如何去做,如何开展工作 我们是否负担得起经费?
106.And we sort of picked the price point of 10 cents a page.
我们给出的参考价格是每页10美分
107.If it’s basically the cost of Xeroxing to digitize, OCR, package it up, make it so that you could download, print and bind it, the whole shebang,
这是静电复印,光字符识别,打包 提供下载,打印及装订等所有事情的总成本
108.we would have achieved something.
我们可以有所成就
109.So we started out trying to figure out, how do we get to 10 cents?
我们试图给出是如何计算出每页10美分这个数据的
110.And we tried these robot things, and they worked pretty well — sort of these auto page-turning things.
我们使用了机器人之类的设备,而且他们工作的相当不错 即类似于自动翻页的东西
111.If we can have Mars Rovers, you’d think you could turn pages.
如果我们能制造火星漫游号,也就能制造这样的翻页机
112.But it actually turns out to be pretty hard to turn pages, and the volume isn’t there.
但是要想做到翻页还是很困难的,所以完成的数量还是不够大
113.So anyway — so we ended up making our own book scanner.
不论如何,我们制作了属于自己的图书扫描器
114.And with two digital high grade professional digital cameras, controlled museum lighting — so even if it’s a black and white book,
用两个优质、专业的数码摄像头 结合着可控的博物馆照明——即便那是一本没有色彩的书
115.you can go and get the proper intonation.
你可以制作出一本不错的书来
116.So you basically do a beautiful, respectful job.
你做的将是一件美妙,而且是令人敬仰的工作
117.This is not a fax, this is — the idea is to do a beautiful job as you’re going through these libraries.
这不是传真,这是一个美妙工作的创意 只需要你穿过那些图书馆就可以实现
118.And we’ve been able to achieve 10 cents a page if we run things in volumes.
如果我们能大量进行,我们就可以实现每页10美分的成本
119.This is what it looks like at the University of Toronto.
多伦多大学正在做的就是这样的事情
120.And actually it turns out to, you know, pay a living wage.
事实上,这个成本可以让很多人承受得了
121.People seem to love it.
人们非常喜欢这么去做
122.Yes, it’s a little boring, but some people kind of get into the Zen of it.
是的,有些无趣,但是有些人已进入禅定
123.(Laughter) And especially if it’s kind of interesting books that you care about in languages that you can read, We actually have been able to do a pretty good job of this at getting 10 cents a page.
(笑声) 特别是当这本趣书是你喜欢的 并且书中的语言也是你能看懂的 我们已经有办法做到控制在每页10分美金
124.So 10 cents a page, 300 pages in your average book, 30 dollars a book.
每页10美分,平均每本书300页,也就是一本书30美元
125.The Library of Congress, if you did the whole darn thing — 26 million books — is about 750 million dollars, right?
美国国会图书馆,如果你做过调查 有2600万本书——花费在7亿5千万美元,对吧?
126.But a million books — I think actually would be a pretty good start, and that would cost 30 million dollars. That’s not that big a bill.
但是一百万册图书 – 是个相当不错的开始 这需要花费3千万美元。这样花费就没有那么多了
127.And what we’ve been able to do is get into libraries.
现在,我们需要做的就是进入到图书馆中
128.We’ve now got eight of these scanning centers in three countries, and libraries are up for having their books scanned.
我们已经在三个国家建立了8个这样的扫描中心 有些图书馆期望扫描他们的馆藏
129.The Getty here is moving their books to the UCLA, which is where we have one these scanning centers, and scanning their out-of-copyright books, which is fabulous.
这里的Getty正准备把他们的书籍送到加利福尼亚大学洛杉矶分校 那里有我们的一个扫描中心 去扫描他们出版的书籍,这是难以置信的
130.So we’re starting to get the institutional responsibility.
我们已经开始得到机构的信任了
131.The thing we’re missing is the 10 cents.
我们缺少的东西是10美分
132.If we can get the 10 cents, all the rest of it flows.
如果我们能实现每页10美分,所有事情就变得很简单了
133.We’ve scanned about 200,000 books.
我们已经扫描了20万本书
134.Now we’re scanning about 15,000 books a month, and it’s starting to gear up another factor of two from there.
现在,我们可以每月扫描1万5千本书 这就组成二要素中的另一个要素
135.So all in all, that’s going very well.
总起来说,所有事情进展得很顺利

ted演讲稿中英文对照

BrendaLaurel_为女孩子们制作数码游戏【中英文对照】

2024-4-7 10:17:39

ted演讲稿中英文对照

BruceMcCall_山寨怀旧【中英文对照】

2024-4-7 10:19:58

搜索