OryOkolloh_成为一个行动派【中英文对照】

1.So what’s image got do with it?
形象的意义在哪里?
2.And I must say I think Emeka is trying to send a lot of of subliminal messages because I’m going to keep harping on some of the issues
我必须指出我认为Emeka试着传递 很多潜意识的信息 因为我将要反复说一些
3.that have come up.
已经提出过的话题
4.But I’m going to try and do something different and try and just close the loop with some of my personal stories, and try and put a face to a lot of the issues
但我想尝试下做些不同的事 试着串联下我的个人故事 能带出这些讨论过的话题
5.that we’ve been talking about.
新的一个方向
6.So, Africa is a complex continent full of contradictions as you can see.
好了,非洲是一个充满矛盾的复杂的大洲 正如你所看到的一样
7.We’re not the only ones.
但并不是只有我们是这样的。
8.(Laughter) (Applause) And you know, it’s amazing.
(笑) (掌声) 你知道,这很让人吃惊
9.I mean, we need a whole conference just devoted to telling the good stories about the continent.
我是说,我们需要整个会议的时间 去讲有关这个大陆的好的故事
10.Just think about that, you know?
想象一下
11.And this is typically what we’ve been talking about, the role that the media plays in focusing just on the negative stuff.
这正是我们平常所说的: 媒体的焦点总是集中在 负面的消息上
12.Now, why is that a problem?
那么,为什么这是个问题呢
13.A typical disaster story: disease, corruption, poverty.
一个典型的灾难性故事 疾病 腐败 贫穷
14.And some of you might be standing here thinking, saying, OK, you know, Ory, you’re Harvard-educated, and all you privileged people come here saying,
你们中的一些人或许想 说, Ory, 你是哈佛毕业的 然后所有有特权的人来这儿说
15.forget the poor people, let’s focus on business and the markets, and whatever.
忘掉那些贫穷的人吧 让我们聚焦到商业和市场,或者别的一些什么
16.And there are all, there’s the 80 percent of Africans who really need help.
这些就是全部了, 有百分之八十的非洲人是这样的 谁真正需要帮助呢
17.And I want to tell you that this is my story, OK?
接下来我想讲的是我的故事
18.And it’s the story of many of the Africans who are here.
也是许多在场的非洲人的故事
19.We start with poverty.
我们从贫穷说起吧
20.I didn’t grow up in the slums or anything that dire, but I know what it is to grow up without having money, or being able to support family.
我并不是生长在贫民窟或类似悲惨的地方 但我知道没有钱长大会怎样 或者你必须养活全家
21.Euvin was talking about bellwether signs.
Euvin讲过预兆
22.The bellwether for whether our family was broke or not was breakfast.
看这个家有没有破产,看他们的早饭就可以了
23.You know, when things were good we had eggs and sausages.
日子好的时候我们有鸡蛋有香肠
24.When things were bad we had porridge.
日子不好的时候我们只有粥了
25.And like many African families, my parents could never save because they supported siblings, cousins, you know, their parents, and things were always dicey.
像很多非洲家庭一样 我的父母也从来没有积蓄 因为他们要帮助兄弟姐妹,堂兄弟姐妹,还有他们的父母 一切向来都是这么不确定的
26.Now when I was born, they realized they had a pretty smart kid, and they didn’t want me to go to the neighborhood school, which was free.
当我出生的时候,他们意识到他们有了个漂亮聪明的小孩 他们不想我去邻近的学校读书 那是免费的
27.And they adopted a very interesting approach to education, which was they were going to take me to a school that they can barely afford.
他们采用了一种非常有趣的 教育方法 他们打算让我读一所他们能勉强支付的学校
28.So they took me to a private, Catholic Elementary School, which set the foundation for what ended up being my career.
所以他们带我到一家私立的天主教会学校 也正是这样,奠定了我事业的基础
29.And what happened was, because they could afford it sometimes, sometimes not, I got kicked out pretty much every term.
接下来发生了什么呢 由于他们有时付得起,有时付不起 我在每个学期的时候很多次被逐出学校
30.You know, someone would come in with a list of the people who haven’t paid school fees, and when they started getting pretty strict,
你知道的,某人会带着张表格进来 上面写了那些付不起学费的人 当父母收入不好的时候
31.you had to leave until your school fees could be paid.
你只能辍学直到学费付清了
32.And I remember thinking, I mean, why don’t these guys just take me to a cheap school?
我一直在想 为什么他们要带我去读一所便宜的学校
33.Because you know, as a kid you’re embarrassed and you’re sensitive, and everyone knows you guys don’t have money.
你知道的 小孩子是很尴尬的 也很敏感 当每个人直到我们没有钱
34.But they kept at it, and I now understand why they did what they did.
但是我父母坚持这么做 直到现在我才明白他们这么做的原因
35.They talk about corruption.
讲到腐败
36.In Kenya we have an entrance exam to go into high school.
在肯尼亚我们上高中有个入学考试
37.And there’s national schools, which are like the best schools, and provincial schools.
国立学校是最好的学校 省立的也是
38.My dream school at that time was Kenya High School, a national school.
我那时梦想的学校是肯尼亚高中 一所国立学校
39.I missed the cutoff by one point.
我比录取线少了一分
40.And I was so disappointed, and I was like, oh my God, you know, what am I going to do?
我非常失望 就像不知道接下来该干什么一样
41.And my father said, OK, listen, let’s go and try and talk to the headmistress.
我爸爸说,好吧 试看看去和女校长谈谈吧
42.You know, it’s just one point. I mean, maybe she’ll let you in if that slot’s still there.
只差了一分而已 如果还有空位的话,也许她会让你进的
43.So we went to the school, and because we were nobodies, and because we didn’t have privilege, and because my father didn’t have the right last name,
因此我们去了学校 因为我们只是贫民,因为我们没有特权 因为我父亲的姓表明了我们的身份的低下
44.he was treated like dirt.
他被歧视了
45.And I sat and listened to the headmistress talk to him saying, you know, who do you think you are?
我坐着,听到那个女校长对我父亲说 你认为你是谁啊
46.And, you know, you must be joking if you think you can get a slot.
如果你认为你能得到那个空位 真是太好笑了
47.And I had gone to school with other girls who were kids of politicians and who had done much, much worse than I did, and they had slots there.
如果我不得不和那些高官的女孩们 成绩非常差 却拥有位子
48.And there’s nothing worse than seeing your parent being humiliated in front of you, you know?
最糟糕的莫过于看见自己的父亲 在面前被别人羞辱
49.And we left, and I swore to myself, I’m never ever going to have to beg for anything in my life.
然后我们离开了,我暗暗发誓说 我今生决不 为任何事情去乞求别人
50.They called me two weeks later, they’re like, oh yeah, you can come now. And I told them to stuff it.
两周后,学校叫我去读书 他们轻描淡写的说,你可以来了。被我一口拒绝了
51.(Laughter) (Applause) Final story, and I sort of have to speak quickly.
(笑) (掌声) 最后一则故事
52.Disease.
是关于疾病的
53.My father, who I’ve been talking about, died of AIDS in 1999.
我父亲患艾滋病于1999年死亡
54.He never told anyone that he had AIDS, his fear of the stigma was so strong.
他从来没和别人讲过他得了艾滋病 他害怕耻辱的感觉是如此强烈
55.And I’m pretty much the one who figured it out because I was a nerd.
以至于我是自己努力想出来的
56.And I was in the States at the time, and they called me, he was very sick, the first time he got sick.
那时我还在美国 他们打电话告诉我他生病了,这是他第一次生病
57.And he had Cryptococcal Meningitis.
他得了隐球菌脑膜炎
58.And so I went on to Google, Cryptococcal Meningitis, you know.
于是我上谷歌搜索隐球菌脑膜炎
59.Because of doctor-patient privilege, they couldn’t really tell us what was going on.
由于医患特权 医生不能确切告诉我们发生了什么
60.But they were like, you know, this is a long-term thing.
他们就像,你知道的,说这是件长期的事情
61.And when I went online and read about the disease, I pretty much realized what was going on.
当我上网 查到这个疾病的时候 我差不多意识到有事发生了
62.The first time he got sick he recovered.
第一次的病,他恢复了
63.But what happened was that he had to be on medication that at that time, Diflucan, which in the States is used for yeast infections, cost 30 dollars a pill.
但他需要继续药物治疗 那时在美国,氟康唑 是用于治疗真菌感染,每片要卖30美元
64.He had to be on that pill for the rest of his life.
他不能不依靠那个药片持续余生
65.You know, so money ran out.
你知道的,钱花完了
66.He got sick again.
他的病又发作了
67.And up until that time he had a friend who used to travel to India, and he used to get him a generic version of it.
就在那个时候,他有个在印度旅游的朋友 他能给父亲 拿到氟康唑的一种纺仿制品
68.And that kept him going.
这让父亲生存了下来
69.But the money ran out.
可是钱很快又花完了
70.He got sick again. He got sick on a Friday.
他的病再次发作了,在某一个星期五
71.At that time there was only one bank that had ATMs in Kenya, and we could not get cash, the family couldn’t get cash for him to start the treatment until Monday.
那时肯尼亚只有一家银行有ATM机 但我们没有现金,整个家庭在周一前都拿不到现金 用来付父亲的初期治疗费用
72.The hospital put him on a water drip for three days.
医院把我父亲安排在水槽旁三天
73.And finally we figured, well, OK, we’d better just try and take him to a public hospital.
终于,我们决定,好吧 我们还是试着把他送到公立医院吧
74.At least he’ll get treated while we try to figure out the money situation.
那样至少他能得到治疗 当我们试着想办法筹钱的时候
75.And he died when the ambulance was coming to the hospital to take him.
他死了,当时救护车正要 载他去医院
76.And, you know, now imagine if, and I could go on and on, imagine if this is all you know about me.
好吧,想象一下, 这是你们知道的有关我的所有事情
77.How would you look at me?
你们会怎么看我?
78.With pity, you know. Sadness.
同情,怜悯
79.And this is how you look at Africa.
这就是你们对非洲的看法
80.This is the damage it causes.
这也带来了伤害
81.You don’t see the other side of me.
你们不了解我的另一面
82.You don’t see the blogger, you don’t see the Harvard-educated lawyer, the vibrant person, you know?
你们看不到博客 你们不知道我是哈佛毕业的律师 一个精力充沛的人
83.And I just wanted to personalize that.
我只想把非洲人的形象更私人化
84.Because we talk about it in big terms, and you wonder, you know, so what?
因为我们经常用非洲人这个大概念加到所有的非洲人身上 你会想,这又怎么样?
85.But it’s damaging.
但这是很伤人的
86.And I’m not unique, right?
而且我不是唯一一个
87.Imagine if all you knew about William was the fact that he grew up in a poor village.
想象一下,如果你们只知道William 在一个穷乡村长大
88.And you didn’t know about the windmill, you know?
而且你们不知道风车
89.And I was just moved — I was actually crying during his presentation.
我刚刚却被感动了 我在他的演讲的时候哭了起来
90.He was like, I try and I make.
他就像,我做了,我成功了
91.I was like Nike should hire him, you know, “Just do it!”
我觉得Nike应该雇佣他,‘想做就做!’
92.(Laughter) And this is again the point I’m trying to make.
(笑) 这也正是我想说的
93.When you focus just on the disasters — (Laughter) (Applause) — we’re ignoring the potential.
如果你聚焦在一个人的不幸上 (笑)(掌声) 我们很有可能忽略了他的潜能
94.So what is to be done?
那么,应该怎么做呢?
95.First of all, Africans, we need to get better at telling our stories.
首先 非洲人们,我们应该更擅于将自己的故事
96.We heard about that yesterday.
昨天我们听到了一些事
97.We had some of them this morning.
今天就可以把它们写出来
98.You know, blogging is one way of doing that.
你知道的 写博客就是其中一个方法
99.Afrigator is an aggregator of African blogs that was developed in South Africa.
Afrigator是非洲人博客的总站 是在南非开发的
100.So we need to start getting better.
所以我们需要变得更好
101.If no one else will tell our stories, let’s do it.
如果没人讲我们的故事,那么我们自己讲
102.And going back to the point I was trying to make — this is the Swahili Wikipedia.
回到刚才我想要说的 这是斯瓦西里的维基百科
103.Swahili is spoken by about 50 million people in East Africa.
斯瓦西里是东非一个5千万人的国家
104.It only has five contributors.
它只有5个投稿人
105.Four of them are white males — non-native speakers.
其中4个是白人男性,母语不是斯瓦西里
106.The other person is — Ndesanjo, if you’re here stand up — is a Tanzanian — first Swahili blogger.
还有一个是Ndesanjo,如果你在这儿就站起来一下 他是坦桑尼亚人,第一个斯瓦西里的博主
107.He’s the only African who’s contributing to this.
他也是唯一一个非洲投稿人
108.People, please — we can’t whine and complain the West is doing this.
人们呐,我们不能抱怨控诉说 为什么西方人在做这件事
109.What are we doing?
我们在干什么呢?
110.Where are the rest of the Swahili speakers?
其他的斯瓦西里人在干什么?
111.Why are we not generating our own content?
我们为什么不自己更新内容?
112.You know, it’s not enough to complain. We need to act.
仅仅抱怨是不够的,我们需要行动起来
113.Reuters now integrates African blogs into their coverage of Africa.
路透社现在正把非洲的博客并入到 他们对非洲的报道中
114.So that’s a start, and we’ve heard of all their other initiatives.
这是一个好的开始 我们也听到有一些别的行动
115.The cheetah generation.
他们是猎豹一代
116.The aid approach, you know, is flawed.
这种帮助手段是有缺陷的
117.And after all the hoopla of Live 8, we’re still not anywhere in the picture.
Live 8 台的大力宣传过后 我们还是没有得到更多的关注
118.No, you’re not.
是的,你们没有
119.(Laughter) But the point I’m trying to make, though, is that it’s not enough for us to criticize.
(笑) 但我还是想说 仅仅批评是不够的
120.And for those of you in the diaspora who are struggling with where should I be, should I move back, should I stay?
对于那些在国外散居的人们 和我一样挣扎着一些事 我应该搬回来吗? 还是留下来?
121.You know, just jump.
行动吧
122.The continent needs you.
非洲需要你
123.And I can’t emphasize that enough, you know.
这点怎么强调都不够
124.I walked away from a job with one of the top firms in DC, Covington and Burling, six figures.
我从DC的一家顶级公司辞职 科文顿伯林律师事务所
125.With two paychecks, or three paychecks, I could solve a lot of my family’s problems.
2个月或3个月的工资就有6位数 这样的高收入可以解决我家很多问题
126.But I walked away from that because my passion was here.
但我还是辞职了,因为我的热情在这里
127.And because I wanted to do things that were fulfillling.
因为我想要实现个人抱负
128.And because I’m needed here, you know?
因为这儿需要我
129.I probably can win a prize for the most ways to use a Harvard Law School Degree because of all the things I’m doing.
利用哈佛法学院的头衔 我很有可能因为正在做的这些事 获得各种奖励
130.One is because I’m pretty aggressive, and I try and find, you know, opportunities.
其中一个原因是我敢作敢为 我尽一切努力寻找机会
131.But there is such a need, you know?
但这儿有个需求
132.I’m a corporate lawyer most of the time for an organization called Enablis that supports entrepreneurs in South Africa.
我大部分时间在Enablis组织 做执业律师 支持南非的企业家
133.We’re now moving into East Africa.
我们现在搬到了东非
134.And we give them business development services, as well as financing loan and equity.
我们提供商业开发服务 金融贷款和股票权益
135.I’ve also set up a project in Kenya, and what we do is we track the performance of Kenyan MPs.
我在肯尼亚还建立了一个项目 我们所做的就是记录 肯尼亚国会议员的表现
136.My partner, M, who’s, like, a tech guru, hacked WordPress.
我的合伙人M,高科技专家,创建了WordPress博客平台
137.It costs us, like, 20 dollars a month just for hosting.
这一个月要花我20美元
138.Everything else on there is a labor of love.
其他的劳力付出都是出于爱
139.We’ve manually entered all the data there.
我们几乎手动输入了所有的数据
140.And you can get profiles of each MP, questions they’ve asked in parliament.
你们可以找到所有议员的履历 他们在国会上问过的问题
141.We have a comment function where people can ask their MPs questions.
网站有留言功能 人们可以问议员问题
142.There are some MPs who participate and come back and ask.
其中一些议员会参与这个项目 他们会回答,提问
143.And basically we started this because we were tired of complaining about our politicians.
我们建立这个项目是因为我们厌倦了 抱怨我们的政治家
144.You know, I believe that accountability stems from demand.
我相信责任来源于需求
145.You’re not just going to be accountable out of the goodness of your heart.
你不仅仅出于善良 而负责
146.And we as Africans need to start challenging our leaders.
我们非洲人需要挑战我们的领导人
147.What are they doing?
他们在做什么?

ted演讲稿中英文对照

NoahFeldman_政治宗教皆科技【中英文对照】

2024-3-29 14:35:30

ted演讲稿中英文对照

PameliaKurstin_特雷门琴——无法触摸的音乐【中英文对照】

2024-3-29 14:37:15

搜索