1.I’m kind of tired of talking about simplicity, actually, so I thought I’d make my life more complex, as a serious play.
我今天不太想谈论简约主义 那就把我的生活变得复杂些 让它严肃一点
2.So, I’m going to, like, go through some slides from way back when, and walk through them to give you a sense of how I end up here.
接下来 我会播放一些幻灯片 先回到从前 然后向你们展示我是如何一步一步走到这里
3.So, basically it all began with this whole idea of a computer.
其实一切都源于 这一个概念 – 计算机.
4.Who has a computer? Yeah.
那谁有计算机呢? 嗯.
5.OK, so, everyone has a computer.
好吧, 每个人都有自己的计算机
6.Even a mobile phone, it’s a computer.
甚至一部手机也算是台计算机
7.And — anyone remember this workbook, “Instant Activities for Your Apple” — free poster in each book?
那.. 谁还记得这本操作手册 “充分利用你的苹果电脑” — 每本书都附一张免费海报?
8.This was how computing began.
然后计算就开始了
9.Don’t forget: a computer came out; it had no software.
别忘了:计算机刚诞生时,里面并没有软件.
10.You’d buy that thing, you’d bring it home, you’d plug it in, and it would do absolutely nothing at all.
你买来它, 带它回家, 给它插上电源, 结果它什么事情也做不了.
11.So, you had to program it, and there were great programming, like, tutorials, like this.
因此, 你还得为它写点程序, 要编程的话是有一些很棒的 教程 比如这个
12.I mean, this was great.
我想说它真的很棒
13.It’s, like, you know, Herbie the Apple II.
这好象是 你知道的 ‘’Herbie教你学苹果二代‘’
14.It’s such a great way to — I mean, they should make Java books like this, and we’ve have no problem learning a program.
这种书真的很棒— 我说 他们真应该把Java书也写成这样 那学编程简直就易如反掌了
15.But this was a great, grand time of the computer, when it was just a raw, raw, what is it? kind of an era.
当时对计算机来说可真是个好时候 很原始 很初级 就像是 黄金时代
16.And, you see, this era coincided with my own childhood.
然后 大家看 这一时代恰好和我的童年互相重合
17.I grew up in a tofu factory in Seattle.
我在西雅图的一家豆腐厂里长大
18.Who of you grew up in a family business, suffered the torture? Yes, yes.
在座的有谁是在家庭作坊中长大的? 吃了不少苦? 是的, 是的.
19.The torture was good. Wasn’t it good torture?
逆境出人才 受点磨难不好么?
20.It was just life-changing, you know. And so, in my life, you know, I was in the tofu; it was a family business.
磨难能改变你一生 我这一生 你知道的 我在豆腐厂长大 那是一个家庭作坊
21.And my mother was a kind of a designer, also.
我母亲从某种意义上来说也是设计师
22.She’d make this kind of, like, wall of tofu cooking, and it would confuse the customers, because they all thought it was a restaurant.
她做了这种 豆腐料理墙 然后顾客们都很疑惑, 因为他们都觉得这是一家餐馆
23.A bad sort of branding thing, or whatever.
品牌形象没弄对 是吧
24.But, anyway, that’s where I grew up, in this little tofu factory in Seattle, and it was kind of like this: a small room where I kind of grew up. I’m big there in that picture.
但是, 不管怎样, 我就在这儿长大 这家西雅图的小豆腐作坊 当时大概就这样: 小房间 我在这儿长大 照片里显得我很大
25.That’s my dad. My dad was kind of like MacGyver, really: he would invent, like, ways to make things heavy.
这是我爸爸. 我爸有点像MacGyver, 说真的 他会发明些把东西变重的方法
26.Like back here, there’s like, concrete block technology here, and he would need the concrete blocks to press the tofu, because tofu is actually kind of a liquidy type of thing,
比如这后面 有一个水泥块 他需要用这些水泥块来挤压豆腐 因为豆腐其实是有点像液体的东西,
27.and so you have to have heavy stuff to push out the liquid and make it hard.
所以你得用沉的东西 把水分挤出来 把它弄结实
28.Tofu comes out in these big batches, and my father would sort of cut them by hand.
豆腐出来时很大一块 然后我爸就会用手把它们切开.
29.I can’t tell you — family business story: you’d understand this — my father was the most sincere man possible.
这个不能说 家族机密了 大家都理解的 我的父亲是世上最实在的人了
30.He walked into a Safeway once on a rainy day, slipped, broke his arm, rushed out: he didn’t want to inconvenience Safeway.
一次下雨天他走进一家喜互惠超市 滑倒 手骨折了 马上跑出来 他不想给喜互惠添麻烦
31.So, instead, you know, my father’s, like, arm’s broken for two weeks in the store, and that week — now, those two weeks were when my older brother and I
结果 我把的手就断了 两个星期 整整两星期 我和我哥哥就不得不在店里
32.had to do everything.
帮忙做所有事
33.And that was torture, real torture.
这可真是苦 真苦啊
34.Because, you see, we’d seen my father taking the big block of tofu and cutting it, like, knife in, zap, zap, zap. We thought, wow.
再来说 我爸 把那么一大块豆腐切开 像刀切一样 嚓 嚓 嚓 “哇哦~”
35.So, the first time I did that, I went, like, whoa! Like this.
而我第一次切的时候就像这样 “唔哦..”
36.Bad blocks. But anyways, the tofu to me was kind of my origin, basically.
报废了 不过不管咋说 豆腐就像我的根 基本上
37.And because working in a store was so hard, I liked going to school; it was like heaven.
在店里工作实在太苦 我就很喜欢上学 学校简直就是天堂
38.And I was really good at school.
在学校我表现也很好
39.So, when I got to MIT, you know, as most of you who are creatives, your parents all told you not to be creative, right?
然后 我考上了麻省理工 大家知道的 和在座大部分创意人士一样 你们的父母都阻断过您的创意之路 是吧?
40.So, same way, you know, I was good at art and good at math, and my father says, he’s — John’s good at math.
所以 都一样的 我美术很好 数学也好 我爸就说 约翰的数学最好了
41.I went to MIT, did my math, but I had this wonderful opportunity, because computers had just become visual.
那我去了麻省理工 学数学 直到我遇到这个绝佳机会 计算机开始变得视觉化
42.The Apple — Macintosh just came out; I had a Mac in hand when I went to MIT.
苹果电脑正好问世了 我去MIT时就拥有一台苹果电脑
43.And it was a time when a guy who, kind of, could cross the two sides — it was a good time.
那当时对于一个可以 横跨两个领域的人来说 是很好的机遇
44.And so, I remember that my first major piece of software was on a direct copy of then-Aldus PageMaker.
结果 我记得我第一个重要的软件 是直接模仿当时的 Aldus PageMaker
45.I made a desktop publishing system way back when, and that was, kind of, my first step into figuring out how to — oh, these two sides are kind of fun to mix.
我做了一个在桌面出版系统 由此我在第一次了解到 嗯 融合这两方面挺有趣的
46.And the problem when you’re younger — for all you students out there — is, your head gets kind of big really easy.
而对于年轻人来说有个问题 在做的各位学生记好了 — 就是 你非常容易自我膨胀
47.And when I was making icons, I was, like, the icon master, and I was, like, yeah, I’m really good at this, you know.
当我设计图标的时候 我就像是 图标之王 然后我就说 是啊 我真的很在行
48.And then luckily, you know, I had the fortune of going to something called a library, and in the library I came upon this very book.
然后很幸运地 我有幸去了某个地方——图书馆 在图书馆里我遇到了这本书
49.I found this book. It’s called, “Thoughts on Design,” by a man named Paul Rand.
我找到了这本书 它叫做 “设计的思考” 是一个叫做保罗·兰德的人写的
50.It’s a little slim volume; I’m not sure if you’ve seen this.
它的出版量有点小; 不知你们见过没有
51.It’s a very nice little book. It’s about this guy, Paul Rand, who was one of the greatest graphic designers, and also a great writer as well.
很好的一本小书 关于这个人的 保罗·兰德 当时最杰出的平面设计师之一 书也写得及很不错
52.And when I saw this man’s work, I realized how bad I was at design, or whatever I called it back then, and I suddenly had a kind of career goal,
当我看到此人作品时 我才意识到我自己在设计上多么糟糕 不管当时我怎么说的吧 突然我就有了某种职业目标
53.kind of in hot pursuit.
追求的欲望还很强烈
54.So I kind of switched. I went to MIT, finished.
这是个比较重要的转变 我去了MIT 念完了
55.I got my masters,and then went to art school after that.
拿到硕士学位 又去了艺术学校
56.And just began to design stuff, like chopstick wrappers, napkins, menus — whatever I could get a handle on: sort of wheel-and-deal, move up in the design world, whatever.
开始设计些东西 比如筷子包装 餐巾 菜单 — 任何我可以得到的机会 有点横冲直撞 呆头呆脑地在设计路上前进 随便了
57.And isn’t it that strange moment when you publish your design?
发表设计作品的时候你们有没有觉得奇怪过?
58.Remember that moment — publishing your designs?
还记得那个时刻吗 — 发表自己的设计?
59.Remember that moment? It felt so good, didn’t it?
记得那一刻吗? 感觉特好, 是不是?
60.So, I was published, you know, so, wow, my design’s in a book, you know?
是的 我的设计出版了 哇哦 我的设计被发表在一本书中了耶
61.After that, things kind of got strange, and I got thinking about the computer, because the computer to me always, kind of, bothered me.
之后 事情就有点怪怪的了 我开始思考计算机这个东西 因为计算机总是会让我犯糊涂
62.I didn’t quite get it. And Paul Rand was a kind of crusty designer, you know, a crusty designer, like a good — kind of like a good French bread?
我并不十分理解它 而Paul Rand 是个有些暴躁的设计师 懂么 暴躁的设计师 就像是一块.. 好的法国面包?
63.You know, he wrote in one of his books: “A Yale student once said, ‘I came here to learn how to design, not how to use a computer.’
他的一本书中写道: “一名耶鲁的学生曾说 ‘我来到这儿是学设计的 不是学怎么使用计算机的’
64.Design schools take heed.”
设计学校当心了。”
65.This is in the ’80s, in the great clash of computer/non-computer people.
当时是80年代 支持和反对计算机的人讨论得正激烈
66.A very difficult time, actually.
那段时间其实很难熬
67.And this to me was an important message from Rand.
对我来说这是Rand给我的重要信息
68.And so I began to sort of mess with the computer at the time.
于是我开始捣鼓计算机
69.This is the first sort of play thing I did, my own serious play.
这是我的第一次玩儿的东西, 我自己的严肃玩意儿
70.I built a working version of an Adobe Illustrator-ish thing.
我做了一个类似Adobe Illustrator的实用程序
71.It looks like Illustrator; it can, like, draw.
它看起来很像Illustrator 它可以 比如 画图
72.It was very hard to make this, actually.
做这个其实挺难的
73.It took a month to make this part.
做这部分花了一个月时间
74.And then I thought, what if I added this feature, where I can say, this point, you can fly like a bird. You’re free, kind of thing.
然后我想, 要是加这样一个功能会怎样呢 比如我可以说 这个点 你可以像鸟一样飞 你自由了 那意思
75.So I could, sort of, change the kind of stability with a little control there on the dial, and I can sort of watch it flip around.
所以我可以 好像 改变稳定性 利用一个控制盘上的小控件 我就可以看它翻来翻去.
76.And this is in 1993.
当是是1993年
77.And when my professors saw this, they were very upset at me.
我的教授们看到这个时 都生气极了
78.They were saying, Why’s it moving?
他们说 为什么它要动?
79.They were saying, Make it stop now.
他们说 马上让它停下来
80.Now, I was saying, Well, that’s the whole point: it’s moving.
我就说 嗯 这才是一切的重点:让它动。
81.And he says, Well, when’s it going to stop?
然后他说 那么 它什么时候停下来?
82.And I said, Never.
我说 永远不
83.And he said, Even worse. Stop it now.
然后他说 这更糟 现在就停下来
84.I started studying this whole idea, of like, what is this computer? It’s a strange medium.
我开始研究这整个概念 这个叫计算机的东西是什么? 它是一个很奇怪的媒介
85.It’s not like print. It’s not like video.
它不像印刷 也不像视频
86.It lasts forever. It’s a very strange medium.
它持续永久 一种很奇怪的媒介
87.So, I went off with this, and began to look for things even more.
所以 我从这个开始 并且开始开始寻找更多的东西
88.And so in Japan, I began to experiment with people.
所以 在日本 我开始做与人相关的试验
89.This is actually bad: human experiments.
其实这不太好: 人类试验
90.I would do these things where I’d have students become pens: there’s blue pen, red pen, green pen, black pen.
我会做这样的事情, 让学生当笔: 这是蓝笔, 红笔, 绿笔, 黑笔.
91.And someone sits down and draws a picture.
然后一个人坐下来 画一副画
92.They’re laughing because he said, draw from the middle-right to the middle, and he kind of messed up.
他们在笑 因为他说 从中间靠右画到中间 然后他搞错了
93.See, humans don’t know how to take orders; the computer’s so good at it.
看 人类不知道如何接收命令 计算机却很在行
94.This guy figured out how to get the computer to draw with two pens at once: you know, you, pen, do this; and you, pen, do this.
这个人解决出了怎么让这个计算机用两支笔同时画: 你知道 你, 笔, 做这个; 然后 你, 笔, 做这个.
95.And so began to have multiple pens on the page — again, hard to do with our hands.
所以开始在纸上有了多支笔 — 仍然, 用我们的手很难做.
96.And then someone discovered this “a-ha moment”
然后一个人发现这个”啊哈时刻”
97.where you could use coordinate systems.
就是你可以利用坐标系统.
98.We thought, ah, this is when it’s going to happen.
我们想, 哈, 这样问题就迎刃而解了.
99.In the end, he drew a house. It was the most boring thing.
到最后, 他画了一座房子. 这事最无聊了
100.It became computerish; we began to think computerish — the X, Y system — and so that was kind of a revelation.
太计算机化了 我们开始像计算机一样思考 — X, Y系统 — 有点革命性
101.And after this I wanted to build a computer out of people, called a human-powered computer.
在这之后我又想用人建造一台计算机, 叫做人力计算机.
102.So, this happened in 1993.
这是在1993年.
103.Sound down, please.
请调低声音.
104.It’s a computer where the people are the parts.
这是一台计算机, 人就是计算机部件.
105.I have behind this wall a disk drive, a CPU, a graphics card, a memory system.
在这面墙后面是一个存储器 一个CPU 一个图形卡 一个存储系统
106.They’re picking up a giant floppy disk made of cardboard.
他们正在搬起一张巨大的用纸板做的软盘
107.It’s put inside the computer.
它被放到计算机中
108.And that little program’s on that cardboard disk.
那个小程序被输入到那张纸板盘中
109.So, she wears the disk, and reads the data off the sectors of the disk, and the computer starts up; it sort of boots up, really.
然后 她穿着盘 从盘上的分段中读出数据 然后计算机开始运行 启动起来
110.And it’s a sort of a working computer. And when I built this computer, I had a moment of — what is it called? — the epiphany where I realized that the computer’s just so fast.
这有点像一台工作着的计算机 我建造这个计算机时 在某一个刻突然 — 怎么说? — 顿悟了 我意识到计算机真是太快了
111.This computer appears to be fast – she’s working pretty hard, and people are running around, and we think, wow, this is happening at a fast rate.
这台计算机看起来挺快 – 她干得很卖力 大家都跑来跑去 我们想 哇 它正在很快地运行
112.And this computer’s programmed to do only one thing, which is, if you move your mouse, the mouse changes on the screen.
这台计算机只被编程做一件事 就是 当你移动鼠标的时候 屏幕上的鼠标就发生改变
113.On the computer, when you move your mouse, that arrow moves around.
在计算机上 你挪动鼠标时 那小箭头跟着动
114.On this computer, if you move the mouse, it takes half an hour for the mouse cursor to change.
在这台计算机上 如果你挪动鼠标 它会花半小时的时间 来让鼠标箭头改变位置
115.To give you a sense of the speed, the scale: the computer is just so amazingly fast, OK?
让你体会一下速度的量级 计算机真是惊人的快 对吧?
116.And so, after this I began to do experiments for different companies.
在这之后我开始为不同公司做试验
117.This is something I did for Sony in 1996.
这是我在1996年为索尼做的
118.It was three Sony “H” devices that responded to sound.
这是三个索尼的H系列的设备 响应声音
119.So, if you talk into the mic, you’ll hear some music in your headphones; if you talk in the phone, then video would happen.
如果你对着话筒讲话 你会从耳机中听到一些音乐 如果你对着电话讲话 会显示视频
120.So, I began to experiment with industry in different ways with this kind of mixture of skills.
我开始以不同的方式与工业界进行试验 用这种混合的技能
121.I did this ad. I don’t believe in this kind of alcohol, but I do drink sometimes.
我做了这广告 我不相信这种酒 但有时会喝
122.And Chanel. So, getting to do different projects.
还有香奈尔 是的 我开始做不同的项目
123.And also, one thing I realized is that I like to make things.
而且 我意识到一件事 我喜欢创造
124.We like to make things. It’s fun to make things.
我们都喜欢创造东西 做东西的过程很有趣.
125.And so I never developed the ability to have a staff.
因此我从不尝试去招募员工
126.I have no staff; it’s all kind of made by hand — these sort of broken hands.
我没有员工 所有东西都是我亲手所做 — 这些有点受伤的手
127.And these hands were influenced by this man, Mr. Inami Neomi.
而影响这双手的 是这个叫Inami Neomi的先生.
128.This guy was my kind of like mentor.
这个人算是我的指导老师
129.He was the first digital media producer in Tokyo.
他是东京第一位数字媒体制作人
130.He’s the guy that kind of discovered me, and kind of got me going in digital media.
可以说是他发现了我 把我带入数字媒体领域
131.He was such an inspirational guy.
他是个特别鼓舞人心的人
132.I remember, like, we’d be in his studio, like, at 2 a.m., and then he’d show up from some client meeting.
我记得 我们在他的工作室里 大概早上2点 然后他出现了 刚忙完某个客户会议
133.He’d come in and say, you know, If I am here, everything is okay.
他会进来说 有我在这 一切都没问题.
134.And you’d feel so much better, you know.
然后你就会感觉好很多
135.And I’ll never forget how, like, but — I’ll never forget how, like, he had a sudden situation with his — he had an aneurysm.
我永远不会忘记.. 不会忘记… 他惨遭横祸 — 会上了动脉瘤.
136.He went into a coma.
后来就不省人事
137.And so, for three years he was out, and he could only blink, and so I realized at this moment, I thought, wow — how fragile is this thing we’re wearing,
在他去世前的三年里 他就只能眨眼睛 这一刻我突然意识到 哇啊 我们的躯壳多么的脆弱
138.this body and mind we’re wearing, and so I thought, How do you go for it more?
我们外在的躯壳与思想多脆弱 我就在想 我要怎么更多地利用它?